Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Wrong evaluation of integral in Mathematica? Numerical vs symbolic



I have Mathematica 11.0.1 in Ubuntu 16.04. My problem is that I have an integral but Mathematica is evaluating it wrong.
Here is the integral:


 Chop[(1/T)*Integrate[Exp[-I*3*ω*t]*(β Cos[ω t]^2) Exp[I*1*ω*t], {t, 0, T}]]


Using basic ideas($\frac{1}{4} e^{-2 i \pi\omega t}+\frac{1}{4} e^{2 i \pi \omega t}+\frac{1}{2}$), it is clear that the integral should be $\beta/4$. But Mathematica gives this result:


0.195312 β  

Ingredients: (i) Choose $T=0.01$, $\omega = 2\pi/T$.


Addendum:
(i) Where am I going wrong?
Why such anomaly is coming?
(I really would like to know this. I think most of the time I know how to use Mathematica but then such wondrous things happen, and then again I am inside a Shutter Island(start again).)


(ii) If I choose $T=0.1$, answer is zero.


(iii) Variables($T$, $\omega$) are need to be declared or defined Globally, as they are required at so many places in my code(this was just an example). If I have to change the value then it has to be done at one place(globally defined), not locally at each defining places(cumbersome).



(iv) Finally, I have this


HB[a_, b_, t_, 
k_] := {{0, -($q[a, t] + $w[b, t]*Exp[I k a])}, {-($q[a, t] +
$w[b, t]*Exp[-I k a]), 0}};
where, $q[a, t] = a*Cos[ω t]^2, and $w = b

instead of (β Cos[ω t]^2) in the integrand.


(V) *Speed is the only problem in the received answer(thanks a lot for the answer, though), if there is any idea which can be used by optimizing the code and decreasing the computation time, it will be a great help. Instead of 3 and 1 in exponential, I have $i$ and $j$ inside a Table, forming a square matrix, that is where the code received in answer was very slow. *


ParallelTable[AbIntHB[a, b, i, j, k], {i, 0, 21}, {j, 0, 21}];


where AbIntHB[a, b, i, j, k] = Above Integral with HB matrix in between the Exponentials with i->Exp[-I*i*ω*t] and j->Exp[I*j*ω*t] indices.



Answer



T and ω must be either undefined or exact numbers. If they are defined globally and you don't want to change it, you can do the following:


ClearAll[T, ω];
T = 0.01; ω = 2 Pi/T;
Chop[Block[{T = $T, ω = $w}, (1/T)*
Integrate[
Exp[-I*3*ω*t]*(β Cos[ω t]^2) Exp[
I*1*ω*t], {t, 0, T}]] /. {$T -> T, $w -> ω}]



0.25 β



Using your equations:


ClearAll[T, ω];
T = 0.01; ω = 2 Pi/T;
int[a_, b_, t_, k_] :=
Chop[Block[{T = $T, ω = $w},
HB = {{0, -(a*Cos[ω t]^2 +
b*Exp[I k a])}, {-(a*Cos[ω t]^2 + b*Exp[-I k a]), 0}};

{{0, -(a*Cos[ω t]^2 +
b*Exp[I k a])}, {-(a*Cos[ω t]^2 + b*Exp[-I k a]), 0}};
(1/T) Integrate[Exp[-I*3*ω*t] HB Exp[I*1*ω*t], {t, 0, T}]] /. {$T -> T, $w -> ω}]

int[-β, 0, t, k]


{{0, 0.25 β}, {0.25 β, 0}}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...