Skip to main content

list manipulation - How do I disable that Mathematica orders terms in lexicographic order?


I have matrices with entries where the order of the entries is important. Unfortunately Mathematica resorts terms in products in a lexicographic order. For example,


A = {{a1, a2}, {a3, a4}};
B = {{b1, b2}, {b3, b4}};
Z = {{z1, z2}, {z3, z4}};

Z.B.A

(* {{a1 (b1 z1 + b3 z2) + a3 (b2 z1 + b4 z2),

a2 (b1 z1 + b3 z2) + a4 (b2 z1 + b4 z2)}, {a1 (b1 z3 + b3 z4) +
a3 (b2 z3 + b4 z4), a2 (b1 z3 + b3 z4) + a4 (b2 z3 + b4 z4)}} *)

I would like that Mathematica keeps the order of the terms as they appear in the product, i.e.


(* z1 b1 a1 + ... *)

How can the lexicographic ordering be disabled?



Answer



This is related to the Orderless attribute of Times and Plus. These attributes could be removed permanently with some hacks, but that would break Mathematica.


If you only want to display the result in a certain way, but not do calculations with it, it may be safe to remove those attributes temporarily using Block.



Block[{Plus, Times}, With[{result = Z.B.A}, HoldForm[result]]]

Mathematica graphics




Update


Jacob is asking how to preserve some of the evaluation rules of Times, such as 0*x → 0 and 1*x → x, while still removing the Orderless attribute. This is possible with Internal`InheritedBlock. It works like Block in that any modifications to the blocked symbols will be temporary, but it does not remove blocked symbol definitions at the start. Thus we can selectively remove the Orderless attribute.


This is an undocumented function, so the usual caveats apply: it may change behaviour in future versions, it may behave unexpectedly, and it may even crash your kernel (this one has never crashed my kernel, but other internal functions have).


Internal`InheritedBlock[{Plus, Times},
Unprotect[Plus, Times];
ClearAttributes[{Plus, Times}, Orderless];

With[{result = Z.B.A}, HoldForm[result]]
]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...