Skip to main content

graphics - How to plot an emission spectrum?


If I have a list of data with various wavelengths in nanometers, how would I plot them on a graph so it looks like this: emission spectrum


So far I have managed to plot a spectrum in DensityPlot, but I have no idea how to hide values that are not in my data set. I do not know if this is the correct method.


DensityPlot[x, {x, 300, 800}, {y, 0, 1}, 
ColorFunction -> ColorData["VisibleSpectrum"],
ColorFunctionScaling -> False, AspectRatio -> .3]

I should also note that my data is nonintegral.



Answer




You can also construct the image from Graphics primitives, which ultimately may give you more control:


spectrum[list_List] :=
Graphics[
{Thickness[0.005], ColorData["VisibleSpectrum"][#], Line[{{#, 0}, {#, 1}}]} & /@ list,
PlotRange -> {{380, 750}, {0, 1}}, PlotRangePadding -> None, ImagePadding -> All,
AspectRatio -> 1/5, ImageSize -> Large,
Axes -> None, Frame -> {True, False, False, False},
Prolog -> Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1000, 1}]
]


Using this helper function, we can plot the principal emission lines of a neon lamp (data):


Ne = {448.809226, 533.07775, 540.05617, 565.65664, 576.44188, 
580.44496, 585.24878, 588.1895, 594.48342, 609.61631, 612.84499,
626.6495, 633.44278, 638.29917, 640.2246, 650.65281, 667.82764,
703.24131, 724.51666, 743.8899, 748.88712};

spectrum[Ne]

Mathematica graphics





Thanks to J. M. who pointed me towards an improved, more faithful version of the "VisibleSpectrum" color function developed by Mr. Wizard (A better “VisibleSpectrum” function?), whose code I reproduce below:


(* needed to pre-load internal definitions *)
ChromaticityPlot;

(* Mr. Wizard's Visible Spectrum color function*)
newVisibleSpectrum = With[
{colors = {Image`ColorOperationsDump`$wavelengths,
XYZColor @@@ Image`ColorOperationsDump`tris}\[Transpose]},
Blend[colors, #] &
];


This new color function can be included in a modified spectrumNew function:


spectrumNew[list_List] := 
Graphics[{Thickness[0.003], newVisibleSpectrum[#], Line[{{#, 0}, {#, 1}}]} & /@ list,
PlotRange -> {{380, 750}, {0, 1}}, PlotRangePadding -> None,
ImagePadding -> All, AspectRatio -> 1/5, ImageSize -> Large,
Axes -> None, Frame -> {True, False, False, False},
Prolog -> Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1000, 1}]
]


corrected spectrum


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...