Skip to main content

plotting - Why call to StreamPlot terminates kernel each time?


FYI, reported to WRI [CASE:4288967]





By mistake, I put x range starting from negative to make StreamPlot for expression with Log[x] in it.


But should this cause the kernel to die? I am Ok with an empty plot. When using ParametricPlot it gives back empty plot, and kernel stays up.


Is this behavior expected or is this a bug?


Is it possible to catch the error instead of kernel crash?


For other reasons, I want to keep same range, since this is running inside script over hundreds of different cases, and do not want to change the x-range for each case. But can live with empty plot and an error I can catch instead.


ClearAll[x, y];
fTerm = (y (1 + 3 x y^3 Log[x]))/(3 x);
StreamPlot[{1, fTerm}, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}]


Kernel dies. But


ClearAll[x, y];
fTerm = (y (1 + 3 x y^3 Log[x]))/(3 x);
ParametricPlot[fTerm, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}]

Empty plot. Kernel remains Up.


This is on V12, windows 10.


update I found another example of where kernel crash. This is due to 1/0 (I think). The problem I get no error message printed or anything. Just one loud beep and that is it. This makes it very hard to run the script, since I have to restart the kernel it each time and manually skip the case that caused the crash.


ClearAll[x, y]; 
fTerm = -((1 - 3*x^6*y^3)/(3*x^7*y^2)) - (2^(1/3)*(-1 + 6*x^6*y^3))/(3*x^7*y^2*(-2 + 18*x^6*y^3 - 27*x^12*y^6 + 3*Sqrt[3]*Sqrt[-4*x^18*y^9 + 27*x^24*y^12])^(1/3)) + (-2 + 18*x^6*y^3 - 27*x^12*y^6 + 3*Sqrt[3]*Sqrt[-4*x^18*y^9 + 27*x^24*y^12])^(1/3)/(3*2^(1/3)*x^7*y^2);

StreamPlot[{1, fTerm}, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}]

I could not catch the error. Adding Catch around it has no effect. Kernel just crashed.



Answer



The tricks used here also solve this problem. The first seems more robust and does not need StreamPoints to be specified:


StreamPlot[Boole[fTerm ∈ Reals] {1, fTerm}, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}]

StreamPlot[{1, ConditionalExpression[#, # ∈ Reals] &@fTerm},
{x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
StreamPoints -> {{

{{-1.8, 0.4}, Automatic}, {{-0.6, 1.8}, Automatic},
{{ 1.8, 0.4}, Automatic}, {{ 0.6, 1.8}, Automatic}, Automatic}}]

enter image description here


[Second plot (the original answer) omitted as it is pretty similar. See edit history if curious.]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?