Skip to main content

front end - StringJoin/FileNameJoin doesn't quite work in script


My mathematica script is as follows:


#!/usr/local/bin/MathematicaScript -script

$HistoryLength=0;
$pwf=FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[],FileBaseName[NotebookFileName[]]}];
$parameterfile=StringJoin[$pwf,".dat"];
Export["testcase.dat", {0.333, 100,0, 0, 35.1, 7.02, 0, 2, 1, 5, 10000}];
Export[$parameterfile, {0.333, 100, 0, 0, 35.1, 7.02, 0, 2, 1, 5, 10000}];




It is also uploaded here


All it does is creates a file name from the NotebookDirectory and NotebookFileName and saves a bunch of data {0.333, 100,0, 0, 35.1, 7.02, 0, 2, 1, 5, 10000} to file with generated filename.


It runs fine with the front end.


However, it doesn't run from a unix terminal which defeats the purpose of having this script.


The error that I get is:


> FrontEndObject::notavail: A front end is not available; certain
> operations require a front end.
>

> FrontEndObject::notavail: A front end is not available; certain
> operations require a front end.
>
> StringJoin::string: String expected at position 1 in
> FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[$Failed],
> FileBaseName[NotebookFileName[$Failed]]}]<>.dat.
>
> Export::chtype: First argument
> FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[$Failed],
> FileBaseName[NotebookFileName[$Failed]]}]<>.dat is not a valid file

> specification.

Am I to understand that I will HAVE to use the front end for when I have StringJoin operations?


The reason I find StringJoin useful is that I have 150 different cases varying in parameters and easily identified by file name. If I can have a script to run all these mathematica cases, it would save a lot of trouble.


Any help would be appreciated.



Answer



If you look at this


#!/usr/local/bin/math8.0.4/MathematicaScript -script

$HistoryLength=0;

$pwf=FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[],FileBaseName[NotebookFileName[]]}];
$pwf = "test";
$parameterfile=StringJoin[$pwf,".dat"];
Print[$pwf];
Print[$parameterfile];
Print[$InputFileName];

you will see that the Print statements work just fine - What requires the FrontEnd are the Notebook*XY*[] functions and since this is a script and not a notebook these are not avaiable. So you'd need to replace those. You could, for example, use $InputFileName and derive the information from that instead.


The last print will have the file name. Note that this is not an interactive session; then $InputFileName is ""


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?