Skip to main content

differential equations - PDE with Stefan Conditions, a.k.a variable boundary


I want to solve the one-dimensional one-phase Stefan problem, but I don't know how to make Mathematica understand the conditions.


If you are not familiar with what I'm asking please refer to this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_problem#Mathematical_formulation


This is what I have so far. Clearly, it doesn't work.


NDSolve[
{D[u[x, t], t] == D[u[x, t], {x, 2}],

(-D[u[x, t], x] /. x -> 0) == 1,
u[s[t], t] == 0,
D[s[t]] == (-D[u[x, t], x] /. x -> s[t]),
u[x, 0] == 0,
s[0] == 0
},
{u, s}, {x, 0, s[t]}, {t, 0, 10}]

I hope there is someone out there with a magical code


I'm using Mathematica 10.



Thanks!



Answer



One can do it semi-automatically. Let us introduce a normalized variable $$ \xi = \frac{x}{s(t)}, \quad \xi \in [0,1] $$ and make a simple finite difference method over $\xi$.


The differential equation in new variables is


ClearAll[u, s, x, t, ξ]
D[u[x/s[t], t], t] == D[u[x/s[t], t], x, x] /. x -> ξ s[t]

enter image description here


If we divide the interval $[0,1]$ by $n$ subintervals we come to the following finite difference scheme


n = 100;

δξ = 1./n;

ClearAll[dv, t];
dv[v_List] := With[{s = First@v, u = Rest@v},
With[{ds = u[[-1]]/(s δξ),
ξ = N@Range[n - 1]/n,
d1 = ListCorrelate[{-0.5, 0, 0.5}/δξ, #] &,
d2 = ListCorrelate[{1, -2, 1}/δξ^2, #] &},
Prepend[d2[#]/s^2 + ξ ds d1[#]/s &@Join[{u[[1]] + s δξ}, u, {0.}], ds]
]];

s0 = 0.001;
v0 = Prepend[ConstantArray[0., n - 1], s0];
sol = NDSolve[{v'[t] == dv[v[t]], v[0] == v0}, v, {t, 0, 1}][[1, 1, 2]];

Here v contains s (the first element) and u (the rest list).


It remains only to decompose the interpolation function sol and return to the initial variable x


Needs@"DifferentialEquations`InterpolatingFunctionAnatomy`";
values = InterpolatingFunctionValuesOnGrid@sol;
valu = Transpose@Join[{#[[2]] + δξ #[[1]]}, Rest@#, {0 #[[1]]}] &@
Transpose@InterpolatingFunctionValuesOnGrid@sol;

vals = InterpolatingFunctionValuesOnGrid[sol][[All, 1]];
t = Flatten@InterpolatingFunctionGrid@sol;
ξ = Range[0., n]/n;
s = ListInterpolation[vals, t];
uξ = ListInterpolation[valu, {t, ξ}];
u = If[#2 < s[#], uξ[#, #2/s[#]], 0.] &;

Visualization of the result


Show[{DensityPlot[u[t, x], {t, 0, 1}, {x, 0, 1}, FrameLabel -> {"t", "x"}], 
Plot[s[t], {t, 0, 1}, PlotStyle -> {Red, Dashed}]}]


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...