Skip to main content

performance tuning - How to reduce the InterpolatingFunction building overhead?


I want a linear interpolation from the following example list:


list = {{0.0005023, 22.24}, {0.01457, 21.47}, {0.04922, 19.79}, 
{0.07484, 18.7}, {0.104, 17.55}, {0.1331, 16.52}, {0.1632, 15.49},
{0.1888, 14.52}, {0.2215, 13.31}, {0.2506, 12.16}, {0.3024, 10.01},
{0.3435, 8.304}, {0.3943, 6.036}, {0.4098, 5.329}, {0.4726, 2.384}};

The easiest way is to use:


Interpolation[list, InterpolationOrder -> 1]


but my list will be changing a lot, and the InterpolatingFunction takes a lot of time to build:


Timing[
Table[Interpolation[list, InterpolationOrder -> 1][q], {q,
0.0006, 0.4, 0.00001}];]

is 10× slower than:


test=Interpolation[list, InterpolationOrder -> 1];
Timing[Table[test[q], {q, 0.0006, 0.4, 0.00001}];]


How can I remove the overhead?




EDIT (following JxB comment)


This compiled version is 5 times faster than the original version, but I don't think Partition is compiling (it appears between all the Lists when I use FullForm); and there's also a CopyTensor that doesn't look good:


Compile[{{list, _Real, 2}, {value, _Real, 0}},
Module[{temp},
temp = Select[
Partition[list, 2, 1], #[[1, 1]] <= value && #[[2, 1]] > value &][[1]
];
temp[[1, 2]] +

(value - temp[[1, 1]])/(temp[[2, 1]] - temp[[1, 1]])*(temp[[2, 2]] - temp[[1, 2]])
]
]

Any suggestions? (I don't want to compile to C.)



Answer



You can use binary search with Compile. I failed inlining (Compile was complaining endlessly about types mismatch), so I included a binary search directly into Compile-d function. The code for binary search itself corresponds to the bsearchMin function from this answer.


Clear[linterp];
linterp =
Compile[{{lst, _Real, 2}, {pt, _Real}},

Module[{pos = -1 , x = lst[[All, 1]], y = lst[[All, 2]], n0 = 1,
n1 = Length[lst], m = 0},
While[n0 <= n1, m = Floor[(n0 + n1)/2];
If[x[[m]] == pt,
While[x[[m]] == pt && m < Length[lst], m++];
pos = If[m == Length[lst], m, m - 1];
Break[];
];
If[x[[m]] < pt, n0 = m + 1, n1 = m - 1]
];

If[pos == -1, pos = If[x[[m]] < pt, m, m - 1]];
Which[
pos == 0,
y[[1]],
pos == Length[x],
y[[-1]],
True,
y[[pos]] + (y[[pos + 1]] - y[[pos]])/(x[[pos + 1]] -
x[[pos]])*(pt - x[[pos]])
]],

CompilationTarget -> "C"];

This is about 20 times faster, on my benchamrks:


AbsoluteTiming[
Table[Interpolation[list,InterpolationOrder->1][q],{q,0.0006,0.4,0.00001}];
]


{1.453,Null}




AbsoluteTiming[
Table[linterp[list,q],{q,0.0006,0.4,0.00001}];
]


{0.063,Null}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...