Skip to main content

performance tuning - Why does iterating Prime in reverse order require much more time?



Say I would like to display the $10$ greatest primes that are less than $10^5$. I could do the following:


AbsoluteTiming[
M = 10^5; m = PrimePi[M];
prms = Prime[#] & /@ Range[1, m];
prms[[#]] & /@ Range[-1, -10, -1]
]

And the result comes out :


{0.0156250, {99991, 99989, 99971, 99961, 99929, 99923, 99907, 99901, 99881, 99877}}


But if I tried to do in in reverse,


AbsoluteTiming[
M = 10^5; m = PrimePi[M];
prms = Prime[#] & /@ Range[m, 1, -1];
prms[[#]] & /@ Range[1, 10]
]

the process takes a whole lot longer:


{0.6250000, {99991, 99989, 99971, 99961, 99929, 99923, 99907, 99901, 
99881, 99877}}


Using the second method, I can't even increase M to $10^6$, as the program takes extremely long to execute. Can anybody offer some insight into this ? $\;$ Am I essentially not doing the same thing in both cases ?



Answer



Given a large n, to find k largest primes below n (as well as above) the best approach uses NextPrime (it has been added to Mathematica 6) :



NextPrime[n] gives the next prime above n.


NextPrime[n,k] gives the k-th prime above n. If k is negative it gives k-th largest prime below n.



k need not be a single number but it may be a list of integers, so if we are looking for k consecutive primes we can take advanted of Range, e.g. :


NextPrime[ 100000, Range[-10, -1]]



{99877, 99881, 99901, 99907, 99923, 99929, 99961, 99971, 99989, 99991}

The issue with Prime and PrimePi is that they are internally related however their documentation pages are not very informative. There are certain limitations of these functions (look at a related question : What is so special about Prime? ). Prime calls PrimePi (e.g. this comment by Oleksandr R.) if Prime[n] < 25 10^13. One can guess what is going on from Some Notes on Internal Implementation where it says:



Prime and PrimePi use sparse caching and sieving. For large $n$, the Lagarias-Miller-Odlyzko algorithm for PrimePi is used, based on asymptotic estimates of the density of primes, and is inverted to give Prime.



So if one has found a large prime, generically the system definitely has found some close primes too (sparse caching and sieving) and of course internal algorithms are not symmetric around a large $n$, i.e. finding closest $k$ primes below and above $n$ is not symmetric (basically it is implied by decreasing density of primes (globally) but directly it is determined by the Lagarias-Miller-Odlyzko method ). For more information take a look at this crucial reference : Computing $ \pi(x)$: the Meissel-Lehmer method. If you want to find really large primes a fast algorithm should use PrimeQ however it is known to be correct only for $n < 10^{16}$. Another algorithm which is correct for all natural n is much slower, one can find it in PrimalityProving package .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...