Skip to main content

numerical integration - Surface area of intersecting spheres


Given a sphere of radius 1 centered at the origin and $n$ spheres with radii $r_i$ centered at predefined coordinates, $c_i$, in space, I am after the surface area of the unit sphere that is not intersected by any of the surrounding spheres. E.g. given the coordinates


c = {{{1.2,0,0},1}, {{0,-1.7,0},1.2}, {{0.7,1,0},0.9}, {{-0.5,-0.5,-0.5},1}}

I am interested in the (potentially) visible blue surface area in the graphic generated by:


{Blue, Sphere[{0,0,0},1], Red, Sphere[#,#2]&@@@c} // Graphics3D

In principle, I can obtain this area by evaluating the following integral


fun = Function[{t,p}, 

Evaluate[ Times @@
(UnitStep[Total[({Sin[t]*Cos[p],Sin[t]*Sin[p],Cos[t]}-#)^2]-#2^2]& @@@ c)
]
]
NIntegrate[Evaluate[fun[t,p]*Sin[t]], {t,0,Pi}, {p,0,2Pi}] // AbsoluteTiming

However, this approach is slow (in particular for a large numbers of spheres), and has convergence issues.


In an attempt to speed up the integral evaluation, I have devised the following code snippet, which is based on a naive (non-adaptive) application of the trapezoidal rule:


n = 1000;
theta = N@Pi/(n-1)*Range[0,n-1];

phi = 2*N@Pi/(2*n-1)*Range[0,2*n-1];
int1 = ConstantArray[1.,n];
int1[[{1,-1}]] = 0.5;
int2 = ConstantArray[1.,2*n];
int2[[{1,-1}]]=0.5;
(* Calculating ptsT is slow. However, it could be pre-calculated once ... *)
ptsT=Transpose[Outer[{Sin[#]*Cos[#2],Sin[#]*Sin[#2],Cos[#]}&, theta, phi], {3,2,1}];

(
lv = Transpose @

Fold[#1*UnitStep[Total[(ptsT - #2[[1]])^2] - #2[[2]]^2] &,
ConstantArray[1., {2 n, n}], c];
int1.((lv.int2)*Sin[theta]) *Pi/(n - 1) * 2*Pi/(2 n - 1)
) // AbsoluteTiming

How can this calculation be sped up? I am also interested in increasing the number of surrounding spheres to approximately 50.


The following code snippet will generate $n$ spheres, which might be useful in comparing the performance of different approaches:


coords[n_] := Transpose@{
1.1 * Table[
With[{y = (2*i + 1)/n - 1, phi = i*(Pi*(3 - Sqrt[5]))},

{Cos[phi]*#, y, Sin[phi]*#} &[Sqrt[1 - y*y]]
],
{i, 0, n - 1}],
ConstantArray[0.3, n]}

Answer



I don't know your speed or precision requirements but here's an approach that yields a low precision estimate to your 50 sphere problem in a few seconds. It's based on the fact that the surface area of a sphere can be computed via $$\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} \sin(\varphi) \, d\varphi \, d\theta.$$ We'll simply write a test function to determine when a point is close to one of the spheres and use this to restrict the domain of integration.


ctest = Compile[{{phi, _Real}, {theta, _Real}, 
{centers, _Real, 2}, {radii, _Real, 1}},
Module[{p3d, result},
result = 1.0;

p3d = {Cos[theta] Sin[phi], Sin[theta] Sin[phi], Cos[phi]};
Do[If[Norm[p3d - centers[[i]]] < radii[[i]], result = 0.0;
Break[]],
{i, 1, Length[centers]}];
result]];
test[phi_?NumericQ, theta_?NumericQ,
ptsRadii : {{{_, _, _}, _} ..}] :=
ctest[phi, theta, Sequence @@ Transpose[ptsRadii]];
NIntegrate[
Sin[phi] test[phi, theta, coords[50]], {phi, 0, Pi}, {theta, 0, 2 Pi},

Method -> "AdaptiveMonteCarlo", PrecisionGoal -> 2] // AbsoluteTiming

(* Out: {4.800880, 1.72108} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...