Skip to main content

syntax - Treat all variables as local in a module




In most languages, any variable defined inside a function is considered local.


# a Python function
def toRomanNumerals(num):
digits = # ...
string = ''
while num > 0:
(value, letters) = # ...
string = # ....
return string


In a Mathematica Module, however, we must specify a list of all variables to treat as local.


toRomanNumerals[i_Integer?Positive] := 
Module[{num = i, string = "", value, letters, digits},
digits = (* ... *);
While[num > 0, {value, letters} =
(* ... *);
string = (* ... *).];
string]

I sometimes find it tedious to manually type the list of all local variables. Do others feel the same way?



Is there a way to create a Module which treats all symbols defined inside as local?



Answer



This sort of programming is not my strength and I don't know Python. Reading the comments, perhaps this won't quite be perfect, but it might be good enough. It seems good enough for many purposes, at least in the way I interpret the question. It localizes all Symbols in the code that are in the "Global`" context and don't have Ownvalues or DownValues. If you want to exclude those with UpValues etc., then it should be easy how to modify it to do so.


ClearAll[localizeAll];
SetAttributes[localizeAll, HoldAll];
localizeAll[code_] :=
With[{vars = Join @@ Union @
Cases[Hold[code],
s_Symbol /; Context[s] == "Global`" &&
Length@OwnValues[s] == 0 && Length@DownValues[s] == 0 :> Hold[s],

Infinity,
Heads -> True]},
(* Module[{##}, code] & @@ vars *) (* original *)
vars /. Hold[v___] :> Module[{v}, code] (* Leonid Shifrin's suggestion *)
]

Example:


Clear[z];
z[a_] := a^2;
localizeAll[x = 2; y = x++; z[x] = y; q[r_] := s; z[2x]]

z[3]
z[x]
q[1]

(* 36 *)
(* 2 *)
(* x^2 *)
(* q[1] *)

Note that because z was defined, z[3] got redefined.



I think I might rather take a few seconds and type out the variables explicitly. It might save time in the long run.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...