Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - NIntegrate and Integrate giving different results for ill-behaved function


I'm trying to integrate the following function with Mathematica 8:


$$ I(a,b)= \int_0^1 \mathrm{d}x\int_0^1\mathrm{d}y \,\theta(1-x-y) \frac{1}{x a^2-y(1-y)b^2},$$ where $\theta$ is the Heaviside function. However, I find different results with Integrate or NIntegrate and I don't understand why.


More specifically, for a=100 and b=90:


NIntegrate[HeavisideTheta[1 - x - y]/(x a^2 - y (1 - y) b^2), {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]


gives


0.0000927294,

while


Integrate[HeavisideTheta[1 - x - y]/( x a^2 - y (1 - y) b^2), {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}, PrincipalValue -> True]

gives


+0.0000600275+0.000314159 I.


What is the correct result? Why does Integrate give a complex result?



Answer



Reversing the order of integration produces a solution:


ans= Integrate[HeavisideTheta[1 - x - y]/(x 100^2 - y (1 - y) 90^2), {y, 0, 1}, {x, 0, 1}, 
PrincipalValue -> True]
(* Log[(100*10^(38/81))/(81*19^(19/81))]/10000 *)

N[ans]
(* 0.000060027526501455836 *)


Solutions of this sort are what I would expect based on outlining a pencil-and-paper derivation.


Attempting to solve the integral numerically produces error messages. For instance,


NIntegrate[HeavisideTheta[1 - x - y]/(x 100^2 - y (1 - y) 90^2), {y, 0, 1}, {x, 0, 1}, 
MinRecursion -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 60]

produces


NIntegrate::slwcon: Numerical integration converging too slowly; suspect one of the following: singularity, value of the integration is 0, highly oscillatory integrand, or WorkingPrecision too small. >>
NIntegrate::eincr: The global error of the strategy GlobalAdaptive has increased more than 2000 times. The global error is expected to decrease monotonically after a number of integrand evaluations. Suspect one of the following: the working precision is insufficient for the specified precision goal; the integrand is highly oscillatory or it is not a (piecewise) smooth function; or the true value of the integral is 0. Increasing the value of the GlobalAdaptive option MaxErrorIncreases might lead to a convergent numerical integration. NIntegrate obtained 0.0000591404833446268` and 0.0003356281358114434` for the integral and error estimates. >>
(* 0.0000591404833446268 *)


Of course,NIntegrate has many options, and one or more of them may produce an acceptable answer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...