Skip to main content

plotting - Plot legend doesn't appear like it should be


I constructed a plot with extra legends generated using dashed function but customarily defined legend doesn't look like plot:



Y1 = Sin[x]; Y2 = Cos[x]; Y3 = Sin[2*x] + Sin[5*x]; Y4 = 
Sin[7*x]; Y5 = Sin[9*x];
Plot[{Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5}, {x, 0, 15}, Frame -> True,
PlotRange -> {{0, 15}, All}, Axes -> {True, True},
PlotLegends -> {Style["Y1", Plain, FontFamily -> Helvetica, 22],
Style["Y2", Plain, FontFamily -> Helvetica, 22],
Style["Y3", Plain, FontFamily -> Helvetica, 22],
Style["Y4", Plain, FontFamily -> Helvetica, 22],
Style["Y5", Plain, FontFamily -> Helvetica, 22]},
AxesOrigin -> {0, -1}, AxesStyle -> Dashed,

FrameLabel -> {"r [\[Mu]m]",
"T [\!\(\*SuperscriptBox[\(\[InvisiblePrefixScriptBase]\), \(0\)]\
\)C]"}, BaseStyle -> {FontSize -> 22, FontWeight -> Plain,
FontFamily -> Helvetica},
PlotStyle -> {Directive[Orange, Thick],
Directive[Dashed, Red, Thick],
Directive[Dashing[{0.025, 0.01, 0.025, 0.01}], Purple, Thick],
Directive[Black,
Dashing[{0.025, 0.005, 0.025, 0.005, 0.005, 0.005, 0.005,
0.005}], Thick],

Directive[Blue, Dashing[{0.025, 0.01, 0.005, 0.01}], Thick]},
ImageSize -> 500]

enter image description here Note legend 3,4,5 are not like the plot or defining parameters.



Answer



I think that the lengths of the LegendMarkers just need to be increased.


Y1 = Sin[x]; Y2 = Cos[x]; Y3 = Sin[2*x] + Sin[5*x]; Y4 = Sin[7*x]; Y5 = Sin[9*x];
Plot[{Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5}, {x, 0, 15}, Frame -> True,
PlotRange -> {{0, 15}, All}, Axes -> {True, True},
BaseStyle -> {FontSize -> 22, FontWeight -> Plain, FontFamily -> Helvetica},

PlotLegends -> LineLegend[(Style[#, 22] &) /@ {"Y1", "Y2", "Y3", "Y4", "Y5"},
LegendMarkerSize -> 75],
AxesOrigin -> {0, -1}, AxesStyle -> Dashed,
FrameLabel -> {"r [μm]", "T \!\(\*SuperscriptBox[\([\), \(o\)]\)C]"},
PlotStyle -> {{Orange, Thick},
{Dashed, Red, Thick},
{Dashing[{0.025, 0.01, 0.025, 0.01}], Purple, Thick},
{Black, Dashing[{0.025, 0.005, 0.025, 0.005, 0.005, 0.005, 0.005, 0.005}], Thick},
{Blue, Dashing[{0.025, 0.01, 0.005, 0.01}], Thick}},
ImageSize -> 500]


Plot with larger legend marker lengths


Update


Given your comment below about being good for a research article and if you really had to stick to a single figure, I would just use solid lines of varying thickness and color contrasts. Here's an example (and certainly not the best choice):


Plot[{Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5}, {x, 0, 15}, Frame -> True, 
PlotRange -> {{0, 15}, All}, Axes -> {True, True},
BaseStyle -> {FontSize -> 22, FontWeight -> Plain, FontFamily -> Helvetica},
PlotLegends -> (Style[#, 22] &) /@ {"Y1", "Y2", "Y3", "Y4", "Y5"},
AxesOrigin -> {0, -1}, AxesStyle -> Dashed,
FrameLabel -> {"r [\[Mu]m]", "T \!\(\*SuperscriptBox[\([\), \(o\)]\)C]"},

PlotStyle -> {{Green, Thickness[0.01]}, {Blue, Thickness[0.01]},
{Purple, Thick}, {Red, Thick}, {Cyan, Thick}},
ImageSize -> 500]

Figure with solid lines


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...