Skip to main content

plotting - 1$sigma$ contour plot for a two-dimensional Gaussian



Say I have a 2D Gaussian with $$\mu=(\mu_1,\mu_2)$$ and $$ \Sigma= \left( {\begin{array}{cc} \sigma_{11}^2 & \rho \sigma_{11} \sigma_{22} \\ \rho \sigma_{11} \sigma_{22} & \sigma_{22}^2 \\ \end{array} } \right) $$


For example


p = {m1 -> 1.5, m2 -> -0.5, s11 -> 0.5, s22 -> 0.5, r -> -0.2};

ContourPlot[
PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{m1, m2}, {{s11^2, r s11 s22}, {r s11 s22, s22^2}}] /. p, {x, y}],
{x, 0, 3.}, {y, -2, 1},
Contours -> {0.2}, ContourShading -> None]

enter image description here



[Contours -> {0.2} inserted only for illustration, just to have any number to make a plot.]




How can I plot the 1$\sigma$ contour of the 2D Gaussian? It encompasses $\approx 0.39$ of the volume under the surface (being analogous to the 0.68 fraction marking the 1$\sigma$ region in the 1D Gaussian case).


So, the precise questions are (a) at what height of the PDF should I place the 1$\sigma$ contour? (Note: I can extract the maximum max of the PDF and easily plot, e.g., the contour corresponding to FWHM with Contours -> {1/2 max}.) And, if it's not that straightforward, my next idea would be (b) to to find the proper value via numerical integration (how to set this up?).



Answer



I don't know what a "$1\sigma$ contour of the 2D Gaussian" is but if you want a specific volume (between 0 and 1), then the following will get you the contour height for the bivariate normal:


p = {m1 -> 1.5, m2 -> -0.5, s11 -> 0.5, s22 -> 0.5, r -> -0.2};

(* Contour of interest *)
α = 0.39 (* Desired volume *)

c = Exp[-InverseCDF[ChiSquareDistribution[2], α]/2]/(2 π s11 s22 (1 - r^2)) /. p

ContourPlot[PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{m1, m2}, {{s11^2, r s11 s22}, {r s11 s22, s22^2}}] /. p, {x, y}],
{x, 0, 3.}, {y, -2, 1}, Contours -> {c}, ContourShading -> None]

(* As a check: Do the integration... *)
pdf = PDF[MultinormalDistribution[{m1, m2}, {{s11^2, r s11 s22}, {r s11 s22, s22^2}}], {x, y}] /. p;
xmin = m1 - 10 s11 /. p;
xmax = m1 + 10 s11 /. p;
ymin = m2 - 10 s22 /. p;

ymax = m2 + 10 s22 /. p;
NIntegrate[pdf Boole[((x - m1)^2/s11^2 + (y - m2)^2/s22^2 - 2 r (x - m1) (y - m2)/(s11 s22))/(1 - r^2) <=
InverseCDF[ChiSquareDistribution[2], α] /. p], {x, xmin, xmax}, {y, ymin, ymax}]
(* 0.39 *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...