Skip to main content

Excel column label from integer


I would like to create a function in Mathematica, which returns the equivalent Excel column label (e.g., A, Z, AA, AZ, and so on) given a column number.


I think it can be done with IntegerString[10,26], but this representation set of this chars is 0 to 9 and then a to z. However, Excel uses only A to Z.


How can this be done?



Answer



Ok, well, I only needed the inverse function so far and have implemented it as:


FromExcelCol[col_String] := FromDigits[ToCharacterCode[col] - 64, 26]


It runs fine because FromDigits does not complain about characters larger than base-1.


However, the other way round seems to be more tricky. The leading digit runs from 0 to 26 (1 to 27 if you want -> base 27), but only as long as it is leading. Then it runs as a trailing digit from 1 to 26.


I have not found an elegant, non-iterative solution so far. I was hesitating to paste my (ugly but working) piece of code, but maybe it encourages others to look for a nice solution. :)


ToExcelCol[n_Integer] := Module[{subtract, num, base},

subtract = Accumulate[Power[26, #] & /@ (Range[7] - 1)];
base = Position[subtract, x_ /; x > n, {1}, 1][[1, 1]] - 1; (*find largest number which is <= base ... I think there are better alg. for this but I don't have them at hand, sorry*)
num = n - subtract[[base]];


StringJoin@PadLeft[FromCharacterCode /@ (IntegerDigits[num, 26] + 65), base, "A"]
]

Basically, what you have to do and what this function does, is subtract 26^0 if n > 26^0, then subtract 26^1 if n > 26^1+26^0 and so on. Finally pad the result to x digits with the largest 26^x+26^(x-1)+....


I have tried but I could not make a satisfying solution, so I kindly invite you to improve this piece of code. I still find that it is too iterating (with the lookup table generated in the first step). I have also thought of treating part of the number as base 27 and the other part as base 26, but well... not tonight anymore. :)


EDIT: Jacob just figured out what I was looking for: You can determine the number of digits in the final column name with Log[26, 25 (n + 1)]. So, here is the simplified version:


ToExcelCol2[n_Integer] := Module[{num, base},
base = Floor[Log[26, 25 (n + 1)]];
num = n - Total[Power[26, #] & /@ (Range[base] - 1)];
StringJoin@PadLeft[FromCharacterCode /@ (IntegerDigits[num, 26] + 65), base, "A"]]


You can condense this into a one-liner without Module of course, but I'll leave that up to you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...