Skip to main content

make specific cluster


I have set of coordinates. I want to make clusters in which every point is within 1.5 distance unit of it's neighbor.


ex of point coordinates:


{{-12.945, 20.6509, 12.5901}, {-13.4452, 20.307, 111.626}, 

{-12.9731, 22.8458, 12.4215}, {-13.2381, 24.8167, 10.7147},
{-11.3668, 23.3908,11.8499}, {-11.6828, 23.7311, 10.8839},
{-13.3929, 21.1835, 9.86324}, {-11.5016, 21.3324, 10.1392},
{-12.3079, 22.096, 8.57246}, {-12.5268, 20.9679, 10.5444},
{-12.1951, 24.5423, 10.1807}, {-11.8887, 22.3883, 10.0751},
{-14.2529, 20.4808, 9.81084}, {-11.9876, 21.8094, 11.0478},
{-12.3718, 23.6176, 11.8266}, {-11.6179, 20.8324, 11.2154},
{-12.5927, 21.7492, 12.5087}, {-12.1665, 24.6649, 11.2909},
{-12.3854, 21.5571, 9.51876}, {-12.2237, 23.4278, 9.9787}}


what is the quickest way in Mathematica for this (for large data sets).


I tried this to find all points that are within mentioned distance:


Table[Select[List, EuclideanDistance[List[[i]], #] < 1.5 &], {i, 1, Length[[List]]}]

but now I have troubles to join all sets that have common elements.



Answer



Here is a possible alteernative, I was working on while Kuba posted his answer :-) I also started by using FixedPoint and the inner loop seems to work but the outer one is easier with While.


c = {{-12.945, 20.6509, 12.5901}, {-13.4452, 20.307, 
111.626}, {-12.9731, 22.8458, 12.4215}, {-13.2381, 24.8167,
10.7147}, {-11.3668, 23.3908, 11.8499}, {-11.6828, 23.7311,

10.8839}, {-13.3929, 21.1835, 9.86324}, {-11.5016, 21.3324,
10.1392}, {-12.3079, 22.096, 8.57246}, {-12.5268, 20.9679,
10.5444}, {-12.1951, 24.5423, 10.1807}, {-11.8887, 22.3883,
10.0751}, {-14.2529, 20.4808, 9.81084}, {-11.9876, 21.8094,
11.0478}, {-12.3718, 23.6176, 11.8266}, {-11.6179, 20.8324,
11.2154}, {-12.5927, 21.7492, 12.5087}, {-12.1665, 24.6649,
11.2909}, {-12.3854, 21.5571, 9.51876}, {-12.2237, 23.4278,
9.9787}};
MyClustering[data_List, distance_?NumericQ] :=
Module[{dataoriginal = data, res = {}, temp = {}},

While[dataoriginal =!= {},
temp = {};
AppendTo[res,
FixedPoint[(
Map[
Function[p,
temp = Join[temp,
Select[dataoriginal, EuclideanDistance[#, p] < distance &]];
dataoriginal = Complement[dataoriginal, temp]], #];
temp) &, {dataoriginal[[1]]}]]];

Return[res]]

Just few notes: dataoriginal is needed because I modify the original list and the argument of a function (data in that case) cannot be modified inside the function's body. For huge lists AppendTo is generally slow, so a possible alternative is


res = Join[{res}, FixedPoint[...]]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...