Skip to main content

dynamic - Altering values in Manipulate with dynamically generated controls


I have a Manipulate whose controls are generated based on a parameter in a containing Manipulate:


Manipulate[
With[{f = Table[c[i], {i, n}],
controls = Sequence @@ Table[{{c[i], 0}, -1, 1}, {i, n}]},
Manipulate[f, controls,
Button["Random", Do[c[i] = RandomReal[{-1, 1}], {i, n}]]]], {n, {3, 4, 5}}]


When I hit the "Random" button, to assign a random set of values to the parameters in the inner manipulate, chaos ensues, e.g.: "Manipulate argument {{-0.975768,0},-1,1} does not have the correct form for a variable specification." If I change the above slightly, for example:


Manipulate[
With[{f = Table[c[i], {i, n}],
controls = Sequence @@ Table[{{c[i], 0}, -1, 1}, {i, n}]},
Manipulate[f, controls,
Button["Random", c[1] = RandomReal[{-1, 1}]]]], {n, {3, 4, 5}}]

I don't get similar errors (and c[1] gets randomly assigned a value as expected). I can't wrap my head around what's going on... what's the relevant difference between these two examples? How can I assign to a parameter as in the second example but using a loop as in the first?


Edit: Turns out I also have additional controls beyond the c[i], whose position should be maintained through the randomization of the c[i]. For example, using belisarius' technique resets r here:



Manipulate[
With[{f = Table[c[i], {i, n}],
controls = Sequence @@ Table[{{c[i], s[i]}, -1, 1}, {i, n}]},
Manipulate[Append[f, r], controls, {{r, 0}, -1, 1},
Button["Random", Do[s[i] = RandomReal[{-1, 1}], {i, n}]]]],
{n, {3, 4, 5}}, Initialization -> {s@_ := 0}]

Assigning directly to e.g. c[1] as in the second example above does what I want:


Manipulate[
With[{f = Table[c[i], {i, n}],

controls = Sequence @@ Table[{{c[i], 0}, -1, 1}, {i, n}]},
Manipulate[Append[f, r], controls, {{r, 0}, -1, 1},
Button["Random", Do[c[1] = RandomReal[{-1, 1}], {i, n}]]]], {n, {3, 4, 5}}]

What's different about assigning directly to c[1] as opposed to assigning to c[i] with i == 1?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...