Skip to main content

geographics - Geography in 3D perspective


I would like to build a GeoGraphics map showing a z-elevated perspective (e.g. the view from a plane). Specifically, I'm looking to use multiple GeoMarker's (with custom graphics) in the pseudo-3D perspective.


For example, consider this plot of the Eiffel Tower:


enter image description here



I would like to reproduce it in a 3D perspective like this:


enter image description here


Both examples come from google maps, I’m not sure if this is possible in 11.3, but would love to know.



Answer



You could use an orthographic with a custom centering:


GeoGraphics[
Entity["Building", "EiffelTower::5h9w8"],
GeoProjection -> {"Orthographic", "Centering" -> GeoPosition[{-30.858`, 2.295`}]},
GeoZoomLevel -> 18,
GeoRange -> {{48.852`, 48.872`}, {2.2895`, 2.2995`}}

]


Note that this does incorporate the curvature of the earth and will be noticeable over larger areas.


If you're after something flat, you could always inset the tiles in 3D and pick custom View* values. Note I pad the range to allow the map to be seen at an angle:


im = GeoImage[
Entity["Building", "EiffelTower::5h9w8"],
"StreetMapNoLabels",
GeoZoomLevel -> 17,
GeoRange -> {{48.852`, 48.872`}, {2.285`, 2.305`}}

];

{x, y} = ImageDimensions[im];

Graphics3D[
{Texture[im], EdgeForm[], Polygon[{{0, 0, 0}, {x, 0, 0}, {x, y, 0}, {0, y, 0}},
VertexTextureCoordinates -> {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1, 1}, {0, 1}}]},
Background -> Black,
Boxed -> False,
Lighting -> "Neutral",

ViewAngle -> 0.03233723833101999`,
ViewCenter -> {{0.5`, 0.5`, 0.5`}, {1.4456583184354543`, 0.7806170277104297`}},
ViewPoint -> {1.076788325190908`, -3.1635309749673284`, 0.5316001064285271`},
ViewVertical -> {0.00011882147473772082`, -0.00015290540260965785`, 0.9999999812506973`}
]

enter image description here




Here's a way to 'lift' a GeoGraphics object into 3D. My solution is probably not robust but works for simple cases:


GeoGraphics3D[args__] := Block[{g2d, g3d, ε = .0001},

g2d = GeoGraphics[args][[1, 1]] /. {___, Opacity[0], ___} -> {};
g3d = g2d /. {
expr : _[VertexTextureCoordinates, _] :> expr,
Inset[g_, {x_, y_}, opos_, Offset[o_]] :> Inset[g, RotationTransform[\[CurlyEpsilon], {0, -1, 0}]@{x, y, 0}, opos, .5 o],
{x_Real, y_} :> RotationTransform[\[CurlyEpsilon], {0, -1, 0}][{x, y, 0}]
};

Graphics3D[
g3d,
Boxed -> False,

ImageSize -> Large,
Lighting -> {{"Ambient", White}}
]
]

Example:


eif = Entity["Building", "EiffelTower::5h9w8"];

Show[
GeoGraphics3D[

{GeoMarker[eif], Text[Style["Eiffel Tower", ColorData[112, 1], 14], eif, {0, 1}]},
GeoRange -> Quantity[1000, "Meters"],
GeoZoomLevel -> 17
],
ViewAngle -> 2°,
ViewPoint -> {1.75`, -2.85`, 0.55`}
]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...