Skip to main content

plotting - Prevent Part[] from trying to extract parts of symbolic expressions


If you have a list, e.g.



{1, 2, 3}

then you can extract the $k$th part using Part (list[[k]]):


In[1]:= {1, 2, 3}[[2]]
Out[1]= 2

The problem is that if you provide a symbolic expression in the place of the list, Part will try to decompose it:


In[1]:= list[[2]]
Part::partd: Part specification list[[2]] is longer than depth of object.
Out[1]= list[[2]]


That is, the issue occurs when the overall expression is evaluated before the value of list is known. For example:


In[1]:= list[[2]] /. list -> {1, 2, 3}
Part::partd: Part specification list[[2]] is longer than depth of object.
Out[1]= 2

Although the final output is correct, this produces an annoying spurious error message.


It's even worse if list is a compound expression, because then Part will decompose it, unexpectedly changing its value. For example,


In[1]:= SinCos[x][[1]] /. SinCos -> (θ \[Function] {Sin@θ, Cos@θ})
Out[1]= x


Wat.


Example


I commonly run into this when plotting one dimension of nested functions and data structures.


Suppose I have a function that generates a list of functions according to some parameters:


functions[x_Real, a_, b_, c_] := {Sin@x, Cos@x, Sin[a*x], Cos[b*x], Sin[c*x]};

Now I want to plot the first, third, and fourth functions in the list of functions with parameters $1,2,3$; in this case, $y = \sin(x), \sin(1 \cdot x), \cos(2 \cdot x)$. The obvious way is:


Plot[functions[x, 1, 2, 3][[#]]& /@ {1,3,4} // Evaluate, {x, 0, 5}]


(The Evaluate is needed to get Plot to treat the values as separate functions, so that they will be styled differently.) And Mathematica will dutifully plot... $y = x, 2, 3$:


{Plot[functions[x,1,2,3][[#]]&/@{1,3,4}//Unevaluated,{x,0,5}],
Plot[functions[x,1,2,3][[#]]&/@{1,3,4}//Evaluate,{x,0,5}]}

Wat


Question


How do I prevent Part[] from trying to decompose symbolic expressions when it is evaluated?


I have a workaround below, but I'm interested in whether there's a better way to do it. Is there a standard built-in function that does what I'm looking for?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...