Skip to main content

list manipulation - Elegant way to handle columns operations


Inspired by this question from @sjdh and by my recurrent use of columns operations in database sets, I was looking for one way to make columns operations more symetric, so I can handle with matrix and lists in a more clean way when working with this kind of data.


For instance, I think it's not very practical to append a list data to a matrix using Join[matA, {colA} // Transpose, 2] or prepend using Prepend[Transpose@matA, colA] // Transpose. It's very clumsy, but we get used to it (I realized that teaching to a friend).


I created this function called colAppend, that I would like to share here, and ask for performance tuning, tips on code organization and maybe another combinations of row operations that I have missed.



Here are our test matrix and lists:


matA={{mA1,mA2},{mA3,mA4},{mA5,mA6}};
matB={{mB1,mB2},{mB3,mB4},{mB5,mB6}};
colA={cA1,cA2,cA3};
colB={cB1,cB2,cB3};

Now there are the function colAppend definitions. I separated it in 3 blocks:


1- Basic Join Operations


colAppend[mat1_,mat2_]/;(Length@Dimensions@mat1>1&&Length@Dimensions@mat2>1):=
Join[mat1,mat2,2]


colAppend[mat1_,col1_,pos_:-1]/;(Length@Dimensions@mat1>1&&Length@Dimensions@col1==1):=
Insert[mat1//Transpose, col1, pos]//Transpose

colAppend[col1_,col2_]/;(Length@Dimensions@col1==1&&Length@Dimensions@col2==1):=
Transpose[{col1,col2}]

colAppend[col1_,mat1_,pos_:1]/;(Length@Dimensions@col1==1&&Length@Dimensions@mat1>1):=
Insert[mat1//Transpose, col1, pos]//Transpose


colAppend[colA,matA]//MatrixForm
colAppend[colA,colB]//MatrixForm
colAppend[matA,matB]//MatrixForm
colAppend[matA,colA]//MatrixForm

enter image description here


2- Deleting Columns


Maybe it could be another function colDelete, so we could remove the Null parameter.


colAppend[mat1_,Null,pos_:-1]/;(Length@Dimensions@mat1>1):=
Module[{temp=mat1},

temp[[All,pos]]=Sequence[];
temp
]

colAppend[Null,mat1_,pos_:1]/;(Length@Dimensions@mat1>1):=
Module[{temp=mat1},
temp[[All,pos]]=Sequence[];
temp
]


colAppend[matA,Null]//MatrixForm
colAppend[Null,matA]//MatrixForm

enter image description here


3- Join Multiple Elements


Combine all the above function (with except Null one)


colAppend::badargs = "Incompatible Dimensions";
colAppend[args__]:=Module[{list=List[args]},
If[\[Not]Equal@@(First@Dimensions@#&/@list),Return[Message[colAppend::badargs]]];
Fold[colAppend,First@list,Rest@list]

]

MatrixForm@colAppend[matA,colA,matB,colB]

enter image description here


What another functionality I'm missing?


What is the best way to create such function?


Update 1


As VLC has posted in the comments. For part 3, this answer from @Mr.Wizard is the best option, not just in simplicity, but in performance too!


columnAttach2[ak__List]:=Replace[Unevaluated@Join[ak,2],v_?VectorQ:>{v}\[Transpose],1]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...