Skip to main content

graphs and networks - Ordering vertices in GraphPlot


I'm new here, so forgive me if this question is not well-posed/duplicates an earlier question - although I've searched for similar questions without success.


I'm trying to present a plot of connections between elements (correlations between student performance on a set of test questions, actually). It's something like (with options omitted):


test = {{1 -> 5, 1}, {4 -> 3, 3.6}, {6 -> 8, 1}, {2 -> 4, 2}, {2 -> 5,

2.5}, {5 -> 4, 0.9}, {7 -> 8, 2}, {3 -> 8, 1}, {8 -> 2, 1}};
GraphPlot[test, Method -> "CircularEmbedding", VertexLabeling -> True,
EdgeLabeling -> False]

Mathematica graphics


where the {1,2,3,...} are the labels for my questions.


I want to order the vertices in ascending order (1,2,3,...), i.e. I want vertices with consecutive labels to be adjacent on the circle, like a clock - i.e. as in the image below, which I had to construct by making the connections more or less consecutive:


test2 = {{1 -> 2, 1}, {3 -> 4, 3.6}, {5 -> 6, 1}, {7 -> 8, 
2}, {2 -> 5, 2.5}, {5 -> 4, 0.9}, {7 -> 3, 2}, {3 -> 8,
1}, {8 -> 2, 1}};

GraphPlot[test2, Method -> "CircularEmbedding", VertexLabeling -> True, EdgeLabeling -> False]

graphics2


Mathematica has its own ideas! It insists on ordering the vertices by the order in which it encounters them in the list of connections, (i.e. 1,5,4,3,...) in the above example. Sorting the list of connections doesn't fix this problem. This issue doesn't seem to be well documented. Any suggestions for a workaround?


Thanks in advance!



Answer



One way would be to define VertexCoordinateRules.


First, we extract a sorted list of all your vertices:


myVertices = Sort[Union[Flatten[{test[[All, 1, 1]], test[[All, 1, 2]]}]]];


Then, we use CircularEmbedding from the Combinatorica package to construct a list of equally spaced points on a circle that we'll use for the VertexCoordinateRules:


<< Combinatorica`
coords = Table[myVertices[[i]] ->
Partition[Flatten[CircularEmbedding[Length[myVertices]]], 2][[i]], {i,
Length[myVertices]}]

And the plot:


GraphPlot[test, VertexLabeling -> True, 
EdgeLabeling -> False, VertexCoordinateRules -> coords]


enter image description here


A case with disconnected components:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...