Skip to main content

equation solving - I can't understand why "FindRoot::nlnum:" shows up in my code


I want to solve a system of equations using Findroot as follows:


Clear[a]; Clear[c]; n = 2;
SysEqn1 = Table[a[i] + I Sum[(PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + 0.5))] +

PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + (2 \[Pi] - 1.2)))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.3))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.4))]), {i, n}], {j, n}];
SysEqn2 = Table[c[i] + I Sum[(PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + 0.5))] +
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + (2 \[Pi] - 1.2)))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.3))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.4))]), {i, n}], {j, n}];
SysEqn = Join[SysEqn1, SysEqn2];
startingValues1 = Table[{a[i], -1 + 2 i/n}, {i, n}];
startingValues2 = Table[{c[i], -0.9 + 2 i/n}, {i, n}];

starting = Join[startingValues1, startingValues2];
FindRoot[SysEqn, starting]

The error message from the above code is as fo


FindRoot::nlnum: "The function value {a[i]+(0. +1.\ I)\ (1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]+1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]-1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]-1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]+1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]+1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]-1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]-1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]),a[i]+(0. +1.\ I)\ (<<1>>),<<1>>,c[i]+(0. +1.\ I)\ (1.\ Log[1. +Times[<<2>>]]+<<11>>)} is not a list of numbers with dimensions {4} at {a[1],a[2],c[1],c[2]} = {0.,1.,0.1,1.1}."

For n=2 case, I have four equations so I think the number of starting variables that should be determined is also four. But for some reason my code doesn't work... I would really appreciate if you can help me out with this problem!



Answer



First of all, there seems to be a bug:


PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[1] - a[2] + (2 π - 1.2)))]

(* -1. Log[1 - 2.71828^((0. + 1. I) (5.08319 - 1. a[2.] + c[1.]))] *)

Note the indices have been converted from Integer to Real numbers. This can be easily fixed with NHoldAll.


Second, there's an a[i] and c[i] at the beginning of Table in each system, but the Table iterator is j. Looking at the image posted in the original form of the question, it seems the j iterator for the Sum was misplaced in the edit.


ClearAll[a];
ClearAll[c];
SetAttributes[a, NHoldAll];
SetAttributes[c, NHoldAll];
n = 2;
SysEqn1 = Table[a[i] + I Sum[(PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + 0.5))] +

PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + (2 π - 1.2)))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.3))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.4))]), {j, n}], {i, n}];
SysEqn2 = Table[c[i] + I Sum[(PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + 0.5))] +
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] + (2 π - 1.2)))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.3))] -
PolyLog[1, E^(I (c[j] - a[i] - 0.4))]), {j, n}], {i, n}];
SysEqn = Join[SysEqn1, SysEqn2];
startingValues1 = Table[{a[i], -1 + 2 i/n}, {i, n}];
startingValues2 = Table[{c[i], -0.9 + 2 i/n}, {i, n}];

starting = Join[startingValues1, startingValues2];

FindRoot[SysEqn, starting]
(*
{a[1] -> 1.8484 + 0.907529 I, a[2] -> 3.0128 + 1.14394 I,
c[1] -> 1.8484 + 0.907529 I, c[2] -> 3.0128 + 1.14394 I}
*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...