Skip to main content

charts - Retrieving PlotRange from BarChart


Consider the following data:


data1={73.9377, 54.4122, 53.0826, 24.1936};
data2={76.828, 49.1673, 45.7883, 18.9015};

I defined my own BarChart as follows:


MyBarCharts[list_]:= 
BarChart[
list,

Frame -> {{True, None}, {True, None}}
]

When applying MyBarCharts to data1 and data2 I get (not really surprising) two different (with regard to the coordinate system) plots. Now I would like to have for both plots the exact same coordinate system. I know that with Histogram it works as follows:


Histogram[
data2,
PlotRange -> Part[PlotRange /. Options[Histogram[
data1,
PlotRange -> Automatic
],PlotRange], 2],

Frame -> {{True, None}, {True, None}}]

But the implementation of that approach in MyBarCharts does not give the desired result. Has anyone an idea?



Answer



Extracting the PlotRange from a BarChart is not as straightforward as it should be. If no PlotRange is specified in creating the chart, then Options will return PlotRange -> All and AbsoluteOptions will return PlotRange -> {{0., 1.}, {0., 1.}


bc = BarChart[{1, 2, 3, 4}];

Options[bc, PlotRange]
(* {PlotRange -> All} *)


AbsoluteOptions[bc, PlotRange]
(* {PlotRange -> {{0., 1.}, {0., 1.}}} *)

The incorrect result from AbsoluteOptions appears to be related to the presence of dynamic objects in the graphics expression (i.e. the bars with their mouseover effects) . I don't know why this causes AbsoluteOptions to go wrong, but a workaround is to replace the dynamic bars with straighforward rectangles, allowing AbsoluteOptions to extract the correct PlotRange. Thus, a replacement for AbsoluteOptions for BarCharts is:


barChartOptions[chart_, opts___] := 
AbsoluteOptions[chart /.
Tooltip[StatusArea[RawBoxes[DynamicBox[{_, RectangleBox[data__]}]], _], _] :>
Rectangle[data], opts]

barChartOptions[bc, PlotRange]

(* {PlotRange -> {{0.545455, 4.45455}, {0., 4.}}} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...