Skip to main content

plotting - How to plot ternary density plots?


How can I get a ternary density plot just like the plots from OriginLab? ternary density plot


ContourPlot and DensityPlot seemingly can accept the [f, {x}, {y}]-style,but cannot accept the [f, {x},{y}, {z}]-style.



Answer



Here's my attempt at an implementation, using ReliefImage[] to give the plots some depth perception:


triangleTicks[arg_List: {5, 4}, tl_: 0.01] := Module[{divs, dQ, sides, st},
dQ = VectorQ[#, IntegerQ] && Length[#] == 2 &;
sides = Partition[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1, Sqrt[3]}/2}, 2, 1, 1];

divs = If[dQ[arg] || (MatrixQ[arg, NumericQ] && First[Dimensions[arg]] == 1),
{arg}, arg];
divs = If[dQ[#],
DeleteCases[MapAt[Function[f, Flatten[ArrayPad[#, -1] & /@ f]],
FindDivisions[{0, 1, 1/Rest[FoldList[Times, 1, #]]}, #],
2], {}], #] & /@
divs[[Mod[Range[3], Length[divs], 1]]];
st = MapThread[Table[Join[Transpose[{1 - d, d}].#1, List /@ d, 2], {d, #2}] &,
{sides, divs}];
MapIndexed[Block[{pt = N[Most[#1]], os},

os = Scaled[RotationTransform[2 π (#2[[1]] - 2)/3][
{tl/#2[[2]], 0}], pt];
If[#2[[2]] == 2, Line[{pt, os}],
{Text[ToString[If[IntegerQ[Last[#1]],
Identity, N][Last[#1]]], os,
{{1, 1}, {-1, -1}, {1, -1}}[[#2[[1]]]]],
Line[{pt, os}]}]] &, st, {3}]]

Options[TernaryReliefPlot] =
{AspectRatio -> Automatic, Background -> None, BaselinePosition -> Automatic,

BaseStyle -> {}, ClippingStyle -> {Black, White}, ColorFunction -> "ThermometerColors",
ColorFunctionScaling -> True, ColorOutput -> Automatic, ContentSelectable -> Automatic,
CoordinatesToolOptions -> Automatic, DisplayFunction :> $DisplayFunction, Epilog -> {},
FormatType :> TraditionalForm, FrameLabel -> None, FrameTicks -> Automatic,
ImageMargins -> 0., ImagePadding -> All, ImageSize -> Automatic,
ImageSizeRaw -> Automatic, LabelStyle -> {}, Method -> Automatic, PlotLabel -> None,
PlotPoints -> Automatic, PlotRange -> All, PlotRegion -> Automatic,
PreserveImageOptions -> Automatic, Prolog -> {}, RotateLabel -> True};

TernaryReliefPlot[f_, opts : OptionsPattern[]] :=

Module[{fl, flt, ft, img, n, rl, sides},
sides = {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1, Sqrt[3]}/2};
fl = OptionValue[FrameLabel];
If[fl =!= None,
If[fl === Automatic, fl = ToString /@ Range[3]];
If[Head[fl] =!= List, fl = PadRight[{fl}, 3, ""]];
flt = {fl, ListCorrelate[{{1}, {1}}/2, sides, 1]} ~Join~
If[MatchQ[OptionValue[RotateLabel], True | Automatic],
{{{0, 2.5}, {0, -2.5}, {0, -2.5}},
{{1, 0}, {1, -Sqrt[3]}/2, {1, Sqrt[3]}/2}},

{{{0, 2.5}, {-2.5, 0}, {2.5, 0}}}]];
ft = OptionValue[FrameTicks]; If[ft === Automatic, ft = {5, 4}];
n = OptionValue[PlotPoints]; If[n === Automatic, n = 300];
img = ReliefImage[SparseArray[{j_, k_} /; j >= k :>
f @@ ({j - k, k - 1, n - j}/(n - 1)), {n, n}],
FilterRules[Join[{opts}, Options[TernaryReliefPlot]],
Options[ReliefImage]]];
Graphics[{If[ft =!= None, triangleTicks[ft], {}],
Texture[img], Polygon[sides, VertexTextureCoordinates ->
{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {0, 1}}],

If[fl =!= None, MapThread[Text, flt], {}]},
Axes -> False, AxesLabel -> None, Frame -> False,
FrameLabel -> None, Method -> Automatic, PlotRange -> All,
FilterRules[Join[{opts}, Options[TernaryReliefPlot]],
Options[Graphics]]]]

Try it out:


TernaryReliefPlot[#3 Sin[10 #1]^2 + #3 (1 - #3) Cos[20 #2]^2 &, 
ColorFunction -> (Hue[0.85 #] &),
FrameLabel -> {Style["p", Large], Style["q", Large], Style["r", Large]},

FrameTicks -> {4, 2}]

a ternary relief plot


It's still missing a few things (e.g. grid lines), but it's a start. I'll try to improve on this when I get the chance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...