Skip to main content

graphics - Generate nonoverlapping random circles



I want to distribute n circles unformly in an area(e.g. free plannar space). The circles could touch each other but cannot overlap.


n = 5;
r = 0.2;

Table[pt[i] = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, 2], {i, 1, n}];
Graphics[{Table[Circle[pt[i], r], {i, n}]}, Axes -> True,
PlotRange -> {{-1, 1}, {-1, 1}}]

My method is to generate the random points firstly, and then calculate the smallest distance between all point pairs. If the smallest distance is larger than 2r, the points are kept. However, the problem with this method is that the larger the radius, the more trials have to be taken. enter image description here



Answer



There are a bunch of Region functions that just showed up in 10. This uses RegionDistance[] to make a function that computes the shortest distance from a point to a region. The generated function runs faster than just checking all the circles. Though the creation of the function in the first place has to look at all the circles. So this still runs in $\mathrm O(n^2)$ time, but at least the inner While should be faster when there are already a lot of circles and not a lot of places to put a new one.


distinct[n_,r_]:=Module[{d,f,p},
d={Circle[RandomReal[{-1,1},2],r]};
Do[

f=RegionDistance[RegionUnion@@d];
While[p=RandomReal[{-1,1},2];f[p] d=Append[d,Circle[p,r]],
{n-1}];
d
]

Example:


distinct[75, 0.1] // Graphics


75 non-overlapping circles


The following runs quite a bit faster, generating a Nearest function for a large set of circles, and using that one function to eliminate many overlaps in a single pass.


sweep[pts_,r_]:=Module[{p,f,c},
p=pts;
While[
f=Nearest[p->Automatic];
c=f[p,{2,r}];
Last[Dimensions[c]]!=1,
p=Pick[p,First[#]<=Last[#]&/@c];
];

p
]

distinct2[n_,r_]:=Module[{p},
p={};
While[
p=Join[p,RandomReal[{-1,1},{n,2}]];
p=sweep[p,2r];
Length[p] ];

Circle[#,r]&/@Take[p,n]
]

Measuring the performance (your mileage may vary):


Timing[distinct[75,0.1];]


{3.021209,Null}

Timing[distinct2[75,0.1];]



{0.077105,Null}

A problem with both of these algorithms is that there is no assurance that they will halt. You can ask for too many circles, and end up with the While loops trying to add circles forever when there is no place to put even one. If this is supposed to be part of some larger automated process, then you need to add a check for no progress after so many tries in order to give up. E.g.:


distinct3[n_,r_,maxiter_]:=Module[{p,m,k},
p={};
m=0;
k=maxiter;
While[

p=Join[p,RandomReal[{-1,1},{n,2}]];
p=sweep[p,2r];
k=If[Length[p]>m,maxiter,k-1];
m=Length[p];
m0
];
Circle[#,r]&/@If[Length[p]>n,Take[p,n],p]
]

Then:



distinct3[100,0.1,1000]//Length


80

distinct3[100,0.1,1000]//Length


78


As pointed out by Ernst Stelzer, this works in 3D just as well with two small changes:


distinct3D[n_,r_,maxiter_]:=Module[{p,m,k},
p={};
m=0;
k=maxiter;
While[
p=Join[p,RandomReal[{-1,1},{n,3}]];
p=sweep[p,2r];
k=If[Length[p]>m,maxiter,k-1];
m=Length[p];

m0
];
Sphere[#,r]&/@If[Length[p]>n,Take[p,n],p]
]

Then:


distinct3D[150, 0.2, 100]//Graphics3D

118 spheres of radius 0.2 packed into 2x2x2 box


That is 118 spheres.



I'd show you one in four dimensions, except that there's no HyperSphere[] or Graphics4D[]. Perhaps someone could work on those.


And now for something completely different. @novice did not ask that the circles be placed randomly, rather that the circles be distributed "uniformly". You can get more circles in if they are not placed randomly. This hexagonally packs in as many circles as possible of radius r, and then removes any excess circles randomly:


distinctx[n_,r_]:=Module[{x,c},
x={
2Floor[1/(2r)+1/2]-1,
2Floor[1/(2r)],
Sqrt[3](2Floor[1/(2Sqrt[3]r)+1/2]-1),
2Sqrt[3]Floor[1/(2Sqrt[3]r)]}//
Min[1/Select[#,#>0&]]&;
c=Join[

Table[Circle[x{2 i+1,Sqrt[3]j},r],
{i,-Floor[1/(2x)+1/2],Floor[1/(2x)-1/2]},
{j,-1-2Floor[1/(2Sqrt[3]x)-1/2],1+2Floor[1/(2Sqrt[3]x)-1/2],2}]
//Flatten,
Table[Circle[x{2 i,Sqrt[3]j},r],
{i,-Floor[1/(2x)],Floor[1/(2x)]},
{j,-2Floor[1/(2Sqrt[3]x)],2Floor[1/(2Sqrt[3]x)],2}]
//Flatten];
If[Length[c]>n,RandomSample[c,n],c]
]


For example:


distinctx[10,0.15]//
Graphics[{Blue,Line[{{-1,-1},{-1,1},{1,1},{1,-1},{-1,-1}}],Black,#}]&

random sample of hex arrangement


distinctx[40,0.15]//
Graphics[{Blue,Line[{{-1,-1},{-1,1},{1,1},{1,-1},{-1,-1}}],Black,#}]&

just a few missing



You're very unlikely to be able to get 40 circles of radius 0.15 stuffed in there randomly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...