Skip to main content

compile - Catching error in middle of evaluation of compiled function



I have programmed and Compileed a complicated numerical function. The function has singularities (i.e. are infinite) at certain input numerical values. I need to catch this problem in the middle of the evaluation and return a more meaningful Message to the user than the default CompiledFunction::cfne.


I can't quite understand the answer to This Question. Would someone help me the following concrete example?


f = Compile[{{x, _Real}, {y, _Real}}, 
Log[(x - y^2 - 2. x)^2]/(y x^2 - 2 (x + y) - y^2 + 3.)]

For certain values, there are singularities:


f[-196, 14]


CompiledFunction::cfn:

Numerical error encountered at instruction 7; proceeding with uncompiled evaluation



and also


f[1.5, 0]


CompiledFunction::cfne:
Numerical error encountered; proceeding with uncompiled evaluation.

Power::infy: Infinite expression 1/0. encountered.



I would like to trump these default error messages with my own. Is it possible to do this without compromising the speed of the evaluation??



I feel that using a giant If statement such as:


funcForUser::msg = "Singular point.";
funcForUser[x_, y_] := If[x != y^2, f[x, y], Message[funcForUser::msg]; Undefined]

is a very ugly way to solve the problem. And I also don't have the patience to track down all possible conditions that lead to singularities.



Answer



How about using "RuntimeErrorHandler":


f = Compile[{{x, _Real}, {y, _Real}}, 
Log[(x - y^2 - 2. x)^2]/(y x^2 - 2 (x + y) - y^2 + 3.),
"RuntimeOptions" -> {"RuntimeErrorHandler" -> Function[Throw[$Failed]]}

];

Catch[Quiet@f[-196, 15]] // AbsoluteTiming
(* {0.000019, 0.0000116843} *)

Catch[Quiet@f[-196, 14]] // AbsoluteTiming
(* {0.000051, $Failed} *)

Edit


We can even have specific messages too:



(* Copying Ted Ersek's messages *)
f::log="The expression f[`1`,`2`] lead to Log[0.0] which evaluates to -\[Infinity].";
f::div="The expression f[`1`,`2`] lead to division by zero which evaluates to ComplexInfinity.";

f = Compile[{{x, _Real}, {y, _Real}},
Log[(x - y^2 - 2. x)^2]/(y x^2 - 2 (x + y) - y^2 + 3.),
"RuntimeOptions" -> {"RuntimeErrorHandler" -> Function[{x,y},
Which[x-y^2-2. x==0,
Message[f::log,x,y];
-\[Infinity],

y x^2-2 (x+y)-y^2+3.==0,
Message[f::div,x,y];
ComplexInfinity,
True,
Indeterminate
]
]}
];

f[-196, 14]

CompiledFunction::cfn: Numerical error encountered at instruction 7; proceeding with uncompiled evaluation. >>
f::log: The expression f[-196,14] lead to Log[0.0] which evaluates to -\[Infinity].
(* -\[Infinity] *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...