Skip to main content

programming - Generating a Sierpinski carpet


I am trying to draw a Sierpinski_carpet. I have code that works, but I think there is a more elegant way to do than my way. Maybe I couls use Tuples or Permutations or some similar function to simplify my code.


enter image description here



f[{{x1_, y1_}, {x2_, y2_}}] := Map[Mean, {
{{{x1, x1, x1}, {y1, y1, y1}}, {{x1, x1, x2}, {y1, y1, y2}}},
{{{x1, x1, x1}, {y1, y1, y2}}, {{x1, x1, x2}, {y1, y2, y2}}},
{{{x1, x1, x1}, {y1, y2, y2}}, {{x1, x1, x2}, {y2, y2, y2}}},
{{{x1, x1, x2}, {y1, y1, y1}}, {{x1, x2, x2}, {y1, y1, y2}}},
{{{x1, x1, x2}, {y1, y2, y2}}, {{x1, x2, x2}, {y2, y2, y2}}},
{{{x1, x2, x2}, {y1, y1, y1}}, {{x2, x2, x2}, {y1, y1, y2}}},
{{{x1, x2, x2}, {y1, y1, y2}}, {{x2, x2, x2}, {y1, y2, y2}}},
{{{x1, x2, x2}, {y1, y2, y2}}, {{x2, x2, x2}, {y2, y2, y2}}}
}, {3}];

d = Nest[Join @@ f /@ # &, {{{0., 0.}, {1, 1}}}, 3];
Graphics[Rectangle @@@ d]
Clear["`*"]

Answer



Version 11.1 introduces MengerMesh:


MengerMesh[3]

enter image description here


enter image description here







This seems the most natural to me:


Mathematica graphics


carpet[n_] := Nest[ArrayFlatten[{{#, #, #}, {#, 0, #}, {#, #, #}}] &, 1, n]

ArrayPlot[carpet @ 5, PixelConstrained -> 1]

Mathematica graphics


Shorter (in InputForm), but perhaps harder to read and slightly slower, though speed hardly matters given the geometric memory usage:


carpet[n_] := Nest[ArrayFlatten @ ArrayPad[{{0}}, 1, {{#}}] &, 1, n]




Style by level


With a minor change we can increment the values with each fractal level allowing identification such as styling, or other processing.


Wild colors are but a few commands away:


carpet2[n_] := Nest[ArrayFlatten[{{#, #, #}, {#, 0, #}, {#, #, #}}] &[1 + #] &, 1, n]

Table[
ArrayPlot[carpet2 @ 4, PixelConstrained -> 1, ColorFunction -> color],
{color, ColorData["Gradients"]}

]

Mathematica graphics




Extension to three dimensions


A Menger sponge courtesy of chyanog, with refinements:


carpet3D[n_] :=
With[{m = # (1 - CrossMatrix[{1,1,1}])}, Nest[ArrayFlatten[m, 3] &, 1, n]]

Image3D[ carpet3D[4] ]


enter image description here




Element coordinates


If you wish to get coordinates for display with graphics primitives or analysis this can be done efficiently using SparseArray Properties:


coords = SparseArray[#]["NonzeroPositions"] &;

Example usages:


Graphics @ Point @ coords @ carpet @ 4


Mathematica graphics


Graphics3D[Cuboid /@ coords @ carpet3D @ 3]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...