Skip to main content

graphics - How can I replace bi-directional DirectedEdge pairs in a Graph with a single UndirectedEdge?


The Cayley graphs produced by Mathematica 8.0's CayleyGraph function represent actions that are their own inverses in an unconventional way: rather than using a single edge without arrows, it uses two edges, each represented by an arrow.


Is there a way to replace all (and only) pairs of such reflexive arrows in a Cayley diagram with a single undirected edge, while leaving any unpaired directed edges untouched?


For example is there a way to make edges in this



CayleyGraph[DihedralGroup[4]]

enter image description here


look like this


enter image description here




Note that I'm aware that one could generate the desired output "manually", using Graph (as was done to generate the example above), but the solution I'm seeking must work for far more complex graphs than the one illustrated here from the simple group specifications that can be provided to CayleyGraph.



Answer



You can use custom EdgeShapeFunction as in


ClearAll[fromDirectedToMixedGraph]; 

fromDirectedToMixedGraph[g_Graph] :=
Module[{edges = (EdgeList[g]) // DeleteDuplicates[#, Sort@#1 == Sort@#2 &] &,
vertices = VertexList[g], vcoords = AbsoluteOptions[g, VertexCoordinates],
esf = EdgeShapeFunction -> (If[MemberQ[(Pick[
EdgeList[g], (Count[EdgeList[g], # | Reverse[#]] > 1) & /@
EdgeList[g], False]), #2 | Reverse[#2]], Arrow[#1], Line[#1]] &), options},
options = {First@# -> Select[Last@#, (MemberQ[edges, First@#] &)]} & /@ (Options[g]);
Graph[vertices, edges, vcoords, esf, options]]

Example:



Grid@Table[{g, fromDirectedToMixedGraph[g]}, {g, {CayleyGraph[DihedralGroup[4]], 
CayleyGraph[AbelianGroup[{2, 2, 2, 2, 2}]]}}]

enter image description here


EDIT: The following variant adds two options to control the rendering of multiple edges (as lines or bi-directional arrows). It also allows inheriting the options from the input graph and using any Graph option.


ClearAll[mixedEdgeGraph];
Options[mixedEdgeGraph] = Join[Options[Graph],
{"arrowSize" -> .03, "setBack" -> .1, "biDirectionalEdges" -> "line"}];

mixedEdgeGraph[g_Graph, opts : OptionsPattern[mixedEdgeGraph]] :=

Module[{doubleEdges, singleEdges, vcoords, esf, options,
edges = DeleteDuplicates[EdgeList[g], Sort@#1 == Sort@#2 &],vertices = VertexList[g]},
{doubleEdges, singleEdges} = DeleteDuplicates[#, Sort@#1 == Sort@#2 &] & /@
(Pick[EdgeList[g], (MemberQ[EdgeList[g], Reverse[#]]) & /@
EdgeList[g], #] & /@ {True, False});

(* remove from Options[g] properties and option values that belong to deleted edges *)
options = Sequence @@ DeleteCases[
Options[g], (e_ -> __) /; MemberQ[Complement[EdgeList[g], edges], e], {1, Infinity}];


(* default EdgeShapeFunction to render multi-edges as lines or bidirectional arrows*)
esf = If[FilterRules[{opts}, EdgeShapeFunction] =!= {},
FilterRules[{opts}, EdgeShapeFunction],
EdgeShapeFunction -> (If[MemberQ[singleEdges, #2 |Reverse[#2]],
{Arrowheads[{{OptionValue["arrowSize"], 1}}], Arrow[#1, OptionValue["setBack"]]},
{If[OptionValue["biDirectionalEdges"] =!= "line",
Arrowheads[{-OptionValue["arrowSize"], OptionValue["arrowSize"]}],
Arrowheads[{{0., 1}}]], Arrow[#1, OptionValue["setBack"]]}] &)];

(* use vertex coordinates of g unless VertexCooordinates or GraphLayout is specified *)

vcoords = If[FilterRules[{opts}, {GraphLayout}] =!= {},
VertexCoordinates -> Automatic, AbsoluteOptions[g, VertexCoordinates]];

(* explictly provided Graph options override the default options inherited from g *)
Graph[vertices, edges, FilterRules[{opts}, Options[Graph]], vcoords, esf, options]]

Examples:


optns = Sequence @@ {VertexLabels -> Placed["Name", Center], 
VertexSize -> 0.4, ImageSize -> 300};
g1 = CayleyGraph[AbelianGroup[{2, 2, 2, 2}], optns];

g2 = CayleyGraph[AbelianGroup[{2, 2, 2}], optns];
g3 = CayleyGraph[SymmetricGroup[4], optns];
g4 = CayleyGraph[PermutationGroup[{Cycles[{{1, 5, 4}}], Cycles[{{3, 4}}]}], optns];

enter image description here


Additional examples:


g5 = RandomGraph[BernoulliGraphDistribution[7, 0.6], DirectedEdges -> True, 
VertexLabels -> Placed["Name", Center], VertexSize -> 0.2, ImageSize -> 300];
g6 = AdjacencyGraph[{{0, 1, 1, 1, 1}, {1, 0, 1, 0, 1}, {0, 1, 0, 1, 1},
{0, 1, 1, 0, 1}, {0, 0, 1, 1, 0}},

DirectedEdges -> True, VertexLabels -> Placed["Name", Center],
VertexSize -> 0.2, ImageSize -> 300];
(PropertyValue[{g5, #}, EdgeStyle] = Hue[RandomReal[]]) & /@ EdgeList[g5];
(PropertyValue[{g6, #}, EdgeStyle] = Hue[RandomReal[]]) & /@ EdgeList[g6];
Grid[{#, mixedEdgeGraph[#],
mixedEdgeGraph[#, GraphLayout -> "SpringElectricalEmbedding",
"biDirectionalEdges" -> "doublearrows"]} & /@ {g5, g6}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...