Skip to main content

Natural boundary conditions variational methods


I am working on a problem of the calculus of variations. From the Variational Methods package, I can very conveniently use EulerEquations to get stationarity conditions in the form of Euler-Lagrange equations for my problem. Is there also a way to obtain expressions for the natural boundary conditions that are involved in making the functional stationary?



Answer



As far as I know there is no function currently in the Variational Methods package that does that. This function however should do the trick:


VariationalDBoundaries[f_,(y_)[x_,r___],boundary_]:=

Module[{varY,Dfuncs,Dtimes,dummyfunc,natural,essential,w},
w={x,r};
Dfuncs=Union[Cases[{f},Derivative[__][y][__],Infinity]];
Dtimes=(Head[Head[#1]]&)/@Dfuncs/.Derivative->List;
GenerateBoundaryEqn[Dfun_]:=
Module[{Dtime,DrevList,out},
Dtime = Head[Head[Dfun/.Derivative->List]];
DrevList = Transpose[{w,Dtime}];
Reverse[Table[(-1)^(i+1),{i,Times@@Dtime}]];
out=Flatten[#,1]&@Table[ReplaceAll[#,w[[j]]->boundary[[j]]]&/@

{D[D[f,Dfun],Sequence@@ReplacePart[DrevList[[j;;]],{1,2}->Dtime[[j]]-i]],
D[varY[Sequence@@w],Sequence@@ReplacePart[DrevList[[1;;j]],
{j,2}->i-1]]},{j,Length[w]},{i,Dtime[[j]]}];
out[[;;,1]]=out[[;;,1]]*Reverse[Table[(-1)^(i+1),{i,Plus@@Dtime}]];
out];
natural=GenerateBoundaryEqn[#]& /@Dfuncs;
essential=Union[Flatten[natural,1][[;;,2]]];
natural = Apply[Times,#,{1}]&/@natural/.List->Plus;
natural=Coefficient[natural,#]&/@essential;
Transpose[{natural, essential}] /. varY -> y

]

It could be used with single variable fucntionals VariationalDBoundaries[f, u[x],{x1}] or multi-variable functionals VariationalDBoundaries[f, u[x,y,...],{xo,yo,...}].It returns the first variational boundary conditions of the functional defined by the integrand f which is a function of u, its derivatives, and x,y,.... The boundary conditions are evaluated at a single boundary location given by {xo,yo,..} for each variable x,y,...


The function generates a list of ordered pairs where the first element is the natural boundary condition at the given location indicated by {xo,yo,..} and the second one is the associated essential boundary condition. Usually either the natural or the essential boundary condition should be equal to zero.


For example:


L=x*y*u[x,y]*D[u[x,y],x]+x*y*u[x,y]*D[u[x,y],y];
VariationalDBoundaries[L,u[x,y],{xo,yo}]

Output: {{x yo u[x,yo],u[x,yo]},{xo y u[xo,y],u[xo,y]}}


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...