Skip to main content

plotting - How to make a ArrayPlot/MatrixPlot in polar coordinates?


in fact, I want to plot a image like: two charts


Fig1 The picture above is from a paper Zhou K.-J. et al. 2014 about ion up-flow of ionosphere.


In MATLAB, there is a specialized function pcolor which could produce a similar effect:


n = 20;r = (0:n)'/n;
theta = pi*(-n:n)/n;
X = r*cos(theta);Y = r*sin(theta);
C = r*cos(2*theta);

pcolor(X,Y,C)

output:


result of pcolor


Fig 2


It's very close to what I want except some details like there are quadrilaterals rather than segments of circle and ugly mesh and ticks, nonetheless, the picture above is acceptable, though not perfect.


However, I hope I could use Mathematica to solve this problem. I thought ArrayPlot or MatrixPlot would help, however, I can't found any options like 'polar coordinates' in these two functions. When I try something like:


n = 20; r = Range[40.]/20; theta = Pi Range[40.]/20;
m = Table[r1 Cos[2. theta1], {theta1, theta}, {r1, r}]


and plot:


ArrayPlot[m, ColorFunction -> "Rainbow", PlotRangePadding -> 0, 
FrameLabel -> {"theta", "r"}, LabelStyle -> 22]

I only get this rectangle picture:


ArrayPlot result


Fig 3


how can I turn it into a 'pie-chart-style' picture?



Answer



Let me use this as example data instead (your m is too big):



m = RandomReal[1, {4, 24}];


polararrayplot[array_, colourfunc_] := SectorChart[
Map[Style[{1, 1}, colourfunc[#]] &, array, {2}],
SectorSpacing -> None
];
polararrayplot[m, ColorData["Rainbow", #] &]

polar array plot




The code is fairly self-explanatory. I'm sure you know where to modify things to suit your needs.


grid[polarticks_, radialticks_, radialaxispos_] := SectorChart[
{{1, 1}},
ChartStyle -> Directive[EdgeForm[], Opacity[0]],
PolarAxes -> True,
PolarAxesOrigin -> {radialaxispos, 1},
PolarGridLines -> {False, Range[0, 1, 1/Length[radialticks]]},
PolarTicks -> {
Transpose[{

Most@Range[0, 2 Pi, 2 Pi/Length[polarticks]],
polarticks
}],
Transpose[{
Rest@Range[0, 1, 1/Length[radialticks]],
radialticks
}]
}
];
polararrayplot[array_, colourfunc_] := SectorChart[

Map[
Style[{1, 1/Length[array]}, {EdgeForm[colourfunc[#]], colourfunc[#]}] &,
array,
{2}
],
SectorSpacing -> None
];
Show[
polararrayplot[m, ColorData["Rainbow", #] &],
grid[{18, 12, 6, 0}, {80, 70, 60, 50}, 14 Pi/8],

PlotRange -> All
]

polar array plot



Suppose that your data runs from 200 to 900, and not available is represented by 0:


min = 200;
max = 900;
m = ConstantArray[val, {4, 40}] /. val :> RandomChoice[{RandomReal[{min, max}], 0}];


Blank cells can be handled through a custom colour function, e.g.


colourize[val_] := If[
val == 0,
White,
ColorData["Rainbow", (val - min)/(max - min)]
];

Now,


Show[
polararrayplot[m, colourize],

grid[{18, 12, 6, 0}, {80, 70, 60, 50}, 14 Pi/8],
PlotRange -> All
]

produces


polar array plot



Sadly, SectorChart does not support AxesStyle nor provide PolarAxesStyle as an option, so the look of the polar axes cannot be modified straightforwardly. Only the ticks (i.e. the ticks of the radial axis and the inner circles) can be styled with TicksStyle.


We'd better create our own grid:


grid[polarticks_, radialticks_, radialaxispos_] := Module[

{
ticksize, gapsize, polarlabelspace, font, circumference, innercircles,
tocartesian, gap, ptpos, rtpos
},
ticksize = 1/20;
gapsize = 1/5;
polarlabelspace = 1/5;
font = Directive[FontFamily -> "Helvetica", FontSize -> 20];
circumference = Directive[Black, AbsoluteThickness[1.5]];
innercircles = Directive[Black, AbsoluteThickness[1]];

gap[r_] := {
radialaxispos - 2 Pi + (gapsize/2)/r,
radialaxispos - (gapsize/2)/r
};
tocartesian = CoordinateTransformData["Polar" -> "Cartesian", "Mapping"];
ptpos = Most@Range[0, 2 Pi, 2 Pi/Length[polarticks]];
rtpos = Rest@Range[0, 1, 1/Length[radialticks]];
Graphics[{
{
circumference,

Circle[{0, 0}, 1, gap[1]],
Line[{tocartesian@{1, #}, tocartesian@{1 + ticksize, #}}] & /@ ptpos
},
{
innercircles,
Circle[{0, 0}, #, gap[#]] & /@ Most[rtpos]
},
{
font,
MapThread[

Text[#1, tocartesian@{#2, radialaxispos}] &,
{radialticks, rtpos}
],
MapThread[
Text[
#1,
tocartesian@{1 + ticksize, #2},
tocartesian@{1 + polarlabelspace, Pi + #2}
] &,
{polarticks, ptpos}

]
}
}]
];

Now,


Show[
polararrayplot[m, colourize],
grid[{18, 12, 6, 0}, {80, 70, 60, 50}, 14 Pi/8],
PlotRange -> All

]

produces


polar array plot


Let me use example data that looks more like that in the paper.


m = ConstantArray[0, {40, 8}];
For[j = 1, j <= 40, j++,
For[i = 1, i <= 8, i++,
m[[j, i]] = If[2 < j < 30,
If[2 < j < 30, If[2 < i < 7,

RandomReal[{min, max}],
Which[
i == 1 || i == 7, foo = RandomChoice[{0, RandomReal[{min, max}]}],
i == 2, If[foo == 0, bar, RandomReal[{min, max}]],
i == 8, If[foo == 0, 0, bar]]], 0], 0]]];
m = Transpose@(m /. bar :> RandomChoice[{0, RandomReal[{min, max}]}]);
Show[
polararrayplot[m, colourize],
grid[{18, 12, 6, 0}, {80, 70, 60, 50}, 10 Pi/8],
PlotRange -> All

]

polar array plot


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...