Skip to main content

list manipulation - How to create a version of FixedPointList for asymptotically periodic functions?



I need to efficiently generate a bunch of bifurcation diagrams. A simple familiar example illustrates the efficiency problems I'm running into:


bifurcation


ListPlot[Catenate[Table[{x, #} & /@ DeleteDuplicates[
FixedPointList[#^2 + x &, Evaluate[Nest[#^2 + x &, x, 999]],100]],
{x, -2, .25, .0001}]], PlotStyle -> PointSize[Tiny], PlotRange -> All]

This method is a bit inefficient.


FixedPointList[] does nothing unless the series z->(z^2+x) becomes 1-periodic (to within machine precision) within 999 cycles. Some numbers like -.75 and -1.25 still don't quite reach their asymptotes after 999 cycles, which is why those bifurcations look soft on my diagram above. But then for some numbers like the neighborhoods of -1, 999 is ridiculous overkill. DeleteDuplicates cleans up the 100-fold redundancy I wish I hadn't had to generate in the first place.


All these problems would be solved if I had a function similiar-ish to FixedPointList that worked on periodic functions. But I don't know how to write a function that takes a function as an input. Here's my best effort below with a hard-wired function z->(z^2+x), but it's so sloooooow it's worse than the one-line code above, but I'd bet that's a problem with my coding. I've had fingers wagged at me for using Do Loops, but I don't know how to get by without one in this case.


My code below returns a 3-element result:



{List become periodic True/False, Element in list that would match the next element in the list, the result list}


FixedPeriodList[x_, maxLength_] := Module[{ret},
ret = 0;
ans = ConstantArray[0, maxLength];
ans[[1]] = x;
Do[ (*MMa jocks scoff at Do loops!*)
ans[[i]] = ans[[i - 1]]^2 + x;
If[ContainsAny[Part[ans, 1 ;; i - 1], {ans[[i]]}],
ret = {True, Position[Part[ans, 1 ;; i - 1], ans[[i]]][[1, 1]],Part[ans, 1 ;; i - 1]};
Break[]], {i, 2, maxLength}];

If[ret == 0, ret = {False, 1, ans}];
ret];

a=FixedPeriodList[-1.754, 10000]

Part[#[[3]], #[[2]] ;; Length[#[[3]]]] &@ a

(* {True, 34, {-1.754, 1.32252, -0.00495143, -1.75398, 1.32243, -0.00517891, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520029, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520234, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520254, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256, -1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256}}


{-1.75397, 1.32242, -0.00520256} *)


How can we create a FixedPeriodList that works more efficiently? And with the function specifiable like in FixedPointList?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...