Skip to main content

regions - Possible bug in RegionUnion or related functions?


Bug introduced in 11.2.0




Functions for derived geometric regions (RegionUnion and related) have been significantly updated in MMA 11.2 and now this simple example doesn't work any more as expected. Could this be a bug or I am using the functions in the wrong way?


d[radius_Real] := Disk[{0, 0}, radius];
r[size_Real] := Rectangle[-{size, size}, {size, size}]


$Version
Region[
RegionUnion[
RegionDifference[r[4.], r[3.]],
RegionDifference[d[2.], d[1.]]
],
ImageSize -> 200,
PlotRange -> All
]


In version 11.1.1 I get the expected region shape. version_11.1.1


And this is result of version 11.2. Also ToElementMesh fails to create a mesh from this region. (However, it does work if I replace the arguments of r and d with exact numbers.)


version_11.2



Answer



I think this is a bug.


Notice that applying BoundaryDiscretizeRegion to your region shows an error:



BoundaryDiscretizeRegion::defbnds: Unable to compute bounds for the region. Using default bounds of {-1, 1} in all dimensions.




Trying RegionBounds on it returns no result.


This explains the strange output.


However, changing RegionDifference[d[2.], d[1.]] to Region@RegionDifference[d[2.], d[1.]] "fixes" the problem. Now everything works fine.


Region does not seem to change the structure of RegionDifference[d[2.], d[1.]].


My conclusion is that this might be a bug. I would not expect different results when Region is or isn't used, only perhaps different performance (as Region is able to do certain checks a single time, and then guarantee that whatever it contains is a correctly defined region).


I suggest you report this to Wolfram Support.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...