Skip to main content

White Edges Around Graphics Elements


Using the following code, I am able to generate a grayscale Voronoi diagram:


numpts = 12;
pts = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {numpts, 2}];
mesh = VoronoiMesh[pts, {{0, 1}, {0, 1}}]


mps = MeshPrimitives[mesh, 2];
vvv = {};
For[i = 1, i <= Length[mps], i++,
col = GrayLevel[ RandomReal[{0, 1}] ] ;
graphicGrain = Graphics[{col, Polygon[mps[[ i ]] [[1]] ]} ];

AppendTo[vvv, graphicGrain];

]


img = Show[vvv, ImageSize -> 1000, "ShrinkWrap" -> True];
img = ImageCrop[img, {950}]
Export["img_q.pdf", img]

enter image description here


As we can see from the image below, some of the grain boundaries seem to have a white edge going through them


enter image description here


Is there any way to generate a Voronoi diagram in such a way that these edges are not present? I have looked at similar posts regarding this 'white edge' problem but have not been successful at removing them myself.



Answer



Your issue appears to be the related to the Thickness of the edges of the polygons. It shows up most when adjacent colours are dark. By increasing the thickness of the edges using Thickness and setting the colour of the edges to the colour of the polygon using EdgeForm you can make the edges overlap slightly and remove the white lines.



I would also use the Graphics object for the export to get a better resolution in the PDF file.


I've made a slight refactoring of the code to remove the loop so it is more in Mma style.


numpts = 12;
pts = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {numpts, 2}];
mesh = VoronoiMesh[pts, {{0, 1}, {0, 1}}];
mps = MeshPrimitives[mesh, 2];

colourDirectives = {#, EdgeForm[#]} & /@ (GrayLevel[RandomReal[{0, 1}]] & /@
Range[First@Dimensions@mps]);
img = Graphics[

{Thickness[0.02]}~Append~Flatten@Riffle[colourDirectives, mps], ImageSize -> 400]

colourDirectives gets a list of pairs of GrayLevel and EdgeForm of that colour for the polygons. These are Riffled with the polygons in mps and Flatten into a single list for Graphic. That list has the Thickness Appended to it so all edges are drawn that thickness.


Hope this helps.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...