Skip to main content

mathematical optimization - Principal Axis Maximization



I know that, in order to use PrincipalAxis, for example in FindMaximum function:


FindMaximum[
f[x,y], {{x,x0,x1},{y,y0,y1}}, Method -> "PrincipalAxis"]

You have to provide two initial points, for each argument. However, PrincipalAxis also seems to work when just one initial point is given. Do you know what actually Mathematica does in such a case?



Answer



The starting point is the Principal Axis Method tutorial:



For an $n$-variable problem, take a set of search directions $u_1,u_2,...,u_n$ and a point $x_0$. Take $x_i$ to be the point that minimizes $f$ along the direction $u_i$ from $x_{i-1}$ (i.e. do a line search from $x_{i-1}$), then replace $u_i$ with $u_{i+1}$.


Two distinct starting conditions in each variable are required for this method because these are used to define the magnitudes of the vectors $u_i$.




I think that the first parameter is the starting point, $x_0$, and, combined with the second parameter, both define the magnitude of the search direction.


One can start to delve into the behaviour using EvaluationMonitor. First, using a single parameter of 0.5, the search is quite close to the initial starting point of 0.5.


FindMinimum[x^2, {{x, 0.5}}, Method -> "PrincipalAxis",
EvaluationMonitor :> Print["x = ", x]]
(* x = 0.5
x = 0.484
x = 0.474
x = 0.407
x = 5.8e-15

... *)

I think, for the case of the second parameter, not specifying it is the same as setting it to zero, since


FindMinimum[x^2, {{x, 0.5, 0}}, Method -> "PrincipalAxis", 
EvaluationMonitor :> Print["x = ", x]]

gives the same behaviour as above.


Compare with specifying a huge second parameter, where the search initially jumps a long way from the starting point.


FindMinimum[x^2, {{x, 0.5, 10000}}, Method -> "PrincipalAxis",
EvaluationMonitor :> Print["x = ", x]]

(* x = 0.5
x = 312.984
x = -192.626
x = 119.858
x = -73.276
x = 3.2e-15
... *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...