Skip to main content

Why doesn't repeated PatternSequence work with explicit pattern names?


Why would this work:


Clear[f]

f[a : PatternSequence[b_, c_]] := {a};
f[1, 2]
(* {1, 2} *)

and this also works:


Clear[f]
f[a : PatternSequence[_, _] ..] := {a};
f[1, 2, 3, 4]
(* {1, 2, 3, 4} *)


but this does not work?


Clear[f]
f[a : PatternSequence[b_, c_] ..] := {a};
f[1, 2, 3, 4]
(* f[1, 2, 3, 4] *)



Edit: Now that @RunnyKine's answer and @kguler's comment have perfectly answered my original question, I have another related question: is there a pattern-based way that I could extract the first element of the repeated pattern sequence without doing this?


Clear[fNew]
fNew[a : PatternSequence[_, _] ..] := Partition[{a}, 2][[All, 1]]

fNew[1, 2, 3, 4]
(* {1, 3} *)

Answer



This has nothing to do with PatternSequence rather the problem is with how you use Repeated (..). Take for example the following function definition:


f[x : {{_, _} ..}] := Norm[N[x]]

Now if we feed it the following input:


f[{{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}}]

The function works as expected and yields:



4.07914333

Now let's redefine the function as follows (we use g instead)


g[x : {{a_, b_} ..}] := Norm[N[x]]

Now notice it looks just like f above but we've introduced the pattern objects a_ and b_


We feed it the same input as above:


g[{{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}}]

And we get:



g[{{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}}]

Well, strange, nothing happens. No match. Now let's try a different input, one where the first pair is repeated:


g[{{1, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 1}}]

Now we get:


2.44948974

A different input with the first pair repeated:


g[{{1, 2}, {1, 2}, {1, 2}}]


Yields


3.87298335

So, you see that Repeated works in mysterious ways, well, not really. The point here is that, with no explicit pattern, you get a structural match (for lack of a better term) but with explicit pattern names you have to repeat terms just like the pattern describes. So for your last example, if you do:


f[1, 2, 1, 2]

You get:


{1, 2, 1, 2}


and


f[1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2]

Gives:


{1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2}

As expected.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...