Skip to main content

programming - Improve the performance of solutions to Project Euler (#14)


Problem


I have following code, when n<=10^5 it's not slow, but n>2*10^5 it's became very slow. I think maybe some temp value greater than 2^31-1, so make compile invalid. Could you give any idea make it can be compiled? As far as possible not to use recursive algorithm.



pe14 = Compile[{},
Module[{n1, len, maxLen = 0, res = 0},
Do[n1 = n;
len = 1;
While[n1 != 1,
n1 = If[EvenQ@n1, n1~Quotient~2, 3 n1 + 1];
len++
];
If[len > maxLen, maxLen = len; res = n],
{n, 1, 10^6}];

{maxLen, res}
]
];

pe14[] // AbsoluteTiming

Answer



A print statement shows that this will overflow on platforms where Mathematica machine integers are 32 bits.


pe14 = Compile[{}, Module[{n1, len, maxLen = 0, res = 0, print = 0},
Do[n1 = n;
len = 1;

While[n1 != 1, n1 = If[EvenQ@n1, n1~Quotient~2, 3 n1 + 1];
If[n1 > 10^4*n && print < 10, print++; Print[{n, n1}]];
len++];
If[len > maxLen, maxLen = len; res = n], {n, 1, 2 10^5}];
{maxLen, res}]];

pe14[] // AbsoluteTiming

During evaluation of In[356]:= {77671,1047216490}


During evaluation of In[356]:= {77671,1570824736}

During evaluation of In[356]:= {77671,785412368}

During evaluation of In[356]:= {103561,1047216490}

During evaluation of In[356]:= {103561,1570824736}

During evaluation of In[356]:= {113383,1654740898}


During evaluation of In[356]:= {113383,2482111348}

During evaluation of In[356]:= {113383,1241055674}

During evaluation of In[356]:= {113383,1861583512}

During evaluation of In[356]:= {113383,1325287492}

Out[357]= {4.547872, {383, 156159}}


On 64 bit platforms it will run to completion. Takes around 18 seconds on my desktop.


You can cut a factor of 2 by only explicitly handling odd values, adjusting for evens that are multiples thereof. Another factor of 4 comes from compiling to C.


pe14b = Compile[{{top, _Integer}}, 
Module[{n1, len, maxLen = 0, res = 0},
Do[n1 = n;
len = 1;
While[n1 != 1, n1 = If[EvenQ@n1, n1~Quotient~2, 3 n1 + 1];
len++];
If[len > maxLen, maxLen = len + Floor[Log[2, top/N[n]]];
res = n], {n, 1, top, 2}];

{maxLen, res}], CompilationTarget -> "C"];

In[377]:= pe14b[10^6] // AbsoluteTiming

Out[377]= {2.396513, {525, 837799}}

For platforms that do not support 64 bit machine integers, one might try to emulate this with machine doubles. EvenQ would have to check whether dividing by two creates a fractional part. The variant below seems to work as it ought.


pe14c = Compile[{{top, _Integer}}, 
Module[{n1, len, maxLen = 0, res = 0.},
Do[n1 = n;

len = 1;
While[n1 != 1,
n1 = If[FractionalPart[n1/2.] == 0, n1/2, 3 n1 + 1];
len++];
If[len > maxLen, maxLen = len + Floor[Log[2, top/n]];
res = n], {n, 1., top, 2.}];
{maxLen, res}], CompilationTarget -> "C"];

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...