Skip to main content

Demonstrate aliasing effect in sound


I'm trying to demonstrate the aliasing effect using sound, that is, when the sample rate is fixed and the sound frequency is increased, we would hear the sound pitch go down when we pass the Nyquist frequency.


Here is what I tried so far:


Manipulate[
EmitSound[
Play[Sin[ω* t], {t, 0, 0.2}, SampleRate -> 900]], {ω, 200, 6000, 10}]


Manipulate[
EmitSound[
Play[Sin[ω* t], {t, 0, 0.2}, SampleRate -> 8000]], {ω,200, 6000, 10}]

Question: The sound is a little bit lag to the slider. Is it possible to create a more responsive one like this


Manipulate[EmitSound[Sound[SoundNote[n, 3]]], {n, 1, 10, 1}]

Answer



Here's one way to explore aliasing in audio using a "chirp" signal (thus avoiding the problems of real-time sound generation). A chirp is a sinusoid-like signal with frequency that constantly increases. Using the formula from the Wikipedia page, the chirp can be generated using


chirp[t_] := Sin[2 Pi (f0 t + (k/2) t^2)];


which is a sinusoid-like signal with instantaneous frequency f0 + kt. Hence the frequency increases as time progresses. If the sampling was done very quickly, then this is what we would hear. However, if the sampling frequency is low (such as 1000 Hz), the frequency will increase only up to the Nyquist frequency (in this case 1000/2 = 500 Hz.).


Select some nominal values and create a sampled version of the signal (using Table).


f0 = 200; k = 100; 
Sound[SampledSoundList[Table[chirp[t], {t, 0, 10, 0.001}], 1000]]

chirp


With these values, the "instantaneous frequency" is 200+100*t Hz. If you press the play button, you can hear the sound starting at 200 Hz and increasing. When it gets to the Nyquist frequency 500 (at about 3 seconds in), it starts to descend. The small upper figure shows (a rough version of) the spectrogram (a plot with time on the horizontal axis and frequency on the vertical axis). This agrees quite nicely with what you hear -- the sine wave sweeping up, then down, then up again over the course of 10 seconds.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...