Skip to main content

image processing - How to track objects in video


I have a video that contains object moving in one direction, is it possible to track the objects and get information like object moving speed, object length and coordinates etc.? An example would be I have a video of highway traffic, and I want to get the car size, lane number and speed for each car.





Simplified Problem


Here is a simple version of the problem:


Say I have several rectangles moving in one direction, and I want to know their length and position.


The following code creates 100 frames of moving rectangles:


N0 = 100;
lengthRange = {2, 3, 4, 5};
positionRange = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5};

objectsDimension = RandomChoice[lengthRange, {N0}];(*Different possible length of rectangle*)


objectsPosition = RandomChoice[positionRange, {N0}];(* Track number for the rectangle*)

objectsEndPoins = Transpose /@ Transpose[{Transpose[{objectsPosition - 0.2, objectsPosition + 0.2}], Partition[Prepend[Accumulate[objectsDimension], 0], 2, 1] /. {x_, y_} -> {x + 0.2, y - 0.2}}];
(* coordinates for rectangles*)

timePlot = Graphics[Rectangle @@@ objectsEndPoins, ImageSize -> {200, Automatic}, AspectRatio -> 8];(* the whole time plot*)

frames = Table[Show[timePlot, PlotRange -> {{1 - 0.5, 5 + 0.5}, {n, n + 50}}, AspectRatio -> 1, ImageSize -> {200, Automatic}], {n, 0, 300, 3}];(*show different part of the whole plot, to create video frames*)


frames = Graphics[#[[1]], Sequence @@ Options[#]] & /@ frames;(*workaround of [this][1] problem*)

ListAnimate[frames]

enter image description here


So can we get the coordinates and the length of the rectangles in the video?




What I tried


I first use the FindGeometricTransform find the speed for the moving objects, then stack each frame together to get a whole time plot, then measure the rectangles.


stepPerFrame = Mean@Table[FindGeometricTransform[frames[[i]], frames[[i + 1]], TransformationClass -> "Translation"][[2, 1, 2, 3]], {i, 1, 20}]

(*calculate the object moving speed per frame. Assume constant speed, average speed for the first 20 frames.*)

blank = Graphics[{}, ImageSize -> ImageDimensions[timePlot]];(*constract a blank plot*)

result = ImagePad[Block[{tmp = blank},
Do[tmp =
ImageCompose[tmp,
frames[[i]], {0, (i - 1)*stepPerFrame}, {0, 0}];, {i, 1,
Length@frames}];
tmp], {{0, 0}, {10, 0}},

White];
(*stack each frame together with a offset of object moving speed.*)

imageData = ImageData[Binarize[ColorNegate[result]]];(*binarize the image*)

lines = Reverse /@
Transpose[
imageData[[All,
Range[20, 180, 40]]]];(*outlines at each lane center*)


position =
Table[lines[[
n]] //. {x__, PatternSequence[0, 1], y__} -> {x, 0, "start",
y} //. {x__, PatternSequence[1, 0], y__} -> {x, "stop", 0,
y}, {n, 1, 5}];(*mark object start and stop in the data *)

objects =
Table[(Transpose@{Flatten[Position[position[[n]], "start"]],
Flatten[Position[position[[n]], "stop"]]}), {n, 1,
5}];(*select the object start and stop position*)


recoveredOjbDim =
Flatten[Differences /@ Sort@Flatten[objects, 1]] /. {5 -> 2, 9 -> 3,
13 -> 4, 17 -> 5};(*calculate the object length*)

recoveredOjbDim == objectsDimension(*compare to the correct answer*)
(*True*)



Questions:




  1. Could you show your methods, I'm sure I can learn a lot.

  2. In the problem, all objects have the same constant speed, what can we do for objects with different speed?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...