Skip to main content

performance tuning - How can I speed up this code with 4 variables sum


I have to make a sum over 4 variables. My code is very very slow. I want to know how to speed up this code. This problem is related to but different from one previous problem. Any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated! The code is shown below:


data = Table[   Exp[-((i + j - 20.)/5)^2] Exp[-((i - j)/5)^2], {i, 20}, {j, 20}];

data = Chop[data, 0.00001];
data = data/Sqrt[Sum[(data[[i, j]])^2, {i, 1, 20}, {j, 1, 20}]];
ListDensityPlot[data, InterpolationOrder -> 0, Mesh -> All, PlotRange -> All, ColorFunction -> (Blend[{Hue[2/3], Hue[0]}, #] &)]
c = 3*10^8;
Δ = 0.5;
λ0 = 1500;
CC1[i_, j_, k_, l_, t_] := (data[[i, l]] data[[j,
k]] Cos[π*(c/(λ0 - 10 + i*Δ -
0.5 Δ) +
c/(λ0 - 10 + l*Δ -

0.5 Δ)) t] Cos[π*(c/(λ0 - 10 +
j*Δ - 0.5 Δ) +
c/(λ0 - 10 + k*Δ -
0.5 Δ)) t] +
data[[i, k]] data[[j,
l]] Cos[π*(c/(λ0 - 10 + i*Δ -
0.5 Δ) +
c/(λ0 - 10 + k*Δ -
0.5 Δ)) t] Cos[π*(c/(λ0 - 10 +
j*Δ - 0.5 Δ) +

c/(λ0 - 10 + l*Δ -
0.5 Δ)) t] -
data[[i, j]] data[[k,
l]] Sin[π*(c/(λ0 - 10 + i*Δ -
0.5 Δ) +
c/(λ0 - 10 + j*Δ -
0.5 Δ)) t] Sin[π*(c/(λ0 - 10 +
k*Δ - 0.5 Δ) +
c/(λ0 - 10 + l*Δ -
0.5 Δ)) t])^2;

CC2[t_] := \!\(\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(∑\), \(i = 1\), \(20\)]\(\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(∑\), \(j = 1\), \(20\)]\(\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(∑\), \(k = 1\), \(20\)]\(\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(∑\), \(l = 1\), \(20\)]CC1[i, j, k, l,t]\)\)\)\);
ListPlot[Table[{i, CC2[i*0.001]}, {i, -10, 10, 1}], Joined -> True, Axes -> None, PlotRange -> All, Frame -> True, ImageSize -> {400, 250}]
ListPlot[Table[{i, CC2[i*0.001]}, {i, -10, 10, 0.001}], Joined -> True, Axes -> None, PlotRange -> All, Frame -> True, ImageSize -> {400, 250}]

Answer



The problem is that it reevaluates the sum every single time you call it, recomputing every 20^4 term again and again. You just need to compile the function CC2 so that it performs the summation only once. Using the code you have, it takes my machine about 6 seconds to compute a single data point:


CC2[0.003] // AbsoluteTiming

(* {6.069311, 1.49893} *)

But if I compile it first,



CC2comp = Compile[{{t, _Real}},
Evaluate[
Sum[CC1[i, j, k, l, t], {i, 20}, {j, 20}, {k, 20}, {l, 20}]
]];

I now get the answer in milliseconds


CC2comp[0.003] // AbsoluteTiming

{0.002888, 1.49893}


Now you can make the plot you were going for in about a minute.


ListPlot[Table[{i, CC2comp[i*0.001]}, {i, -10, 10, 0.001}],  
Joined -> True, Axes -> None, PlotRange -> All, Frame -> True,
ImageSize -> {400, 250}] // AbsoluteTiming

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...