Skip to main content

probability or statistics - How can we create a histogram distribution from binning data?


HistogramDistribution takes a list of data points, creates a histogram from them, and returns this histogram in a form that can be used as a distribution.


I already have the binned data, and I do not have the original data points. How can I create a distribution object equivalent to a histogram distribution using this binning data?


Let's assume we have the binned data in the same format that HistogramList returns.


Example data: bins = N@HistogramList@RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[], 1000].



Answer




Update: We can use WeightedData to represent binned data and work with it in the usual way:


values = MovingAverage[First[bins], 2];
weights = Last[bins];

binsize = bins[[1,2]] - bins[[1,1]] (* assuming a constant bin size!! *)

distr = HistogramDistribution[WeightedData[values, weights], {binsize}]



Original answer:



HistogramDistribution creates a DataDistribution object. The format of this object is not documented, but we can attempt guessing at the object structure and construct a DataDistribution directly.


Warning: The usual caveats about spelunking and using undocumented functionality apply. There's no guarantee that this will work in every situation or in future versions. The following seems to work in version 9.


DataDistribution objects have the following format:


DataDistribution[type, data, dimension, numberOfPoints]



  • type is a string describing the type of the data distribution. For histogram distributions it is "Histogram"





  • data must have the format {pdf, binSpec} for histogram distributions (it is different for other distributions). binSpec is a list of bin boundaries, thus it must have a length one greater than the number of bins. pdf is a list of PDF values for each bin. Thus Total[Differences[binSpec] pdf] must be 1.




  • dimension is the dimension of the data. For 1D data, which we use here, it is 1.




  • numberOfPoints is the number of data points that the histogram was built from.




Starting from the example data bins, we can construct the distribution as



{binSpec, counts} = bins

dd = DataDistribution[
"Histogram", (* type *)
{counts/Differences[binSpec]/Total[counts], binSpec}, (* data *)
1, (* dimension *)
Infinity (* no. of data points *)
]

The usual functions such as Mean, Median, Variance, etc. can be used on dd.



Note: I am not sure if using Infinity for the number of data points can cause any problems.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...