Skip to main content

output formatting - How to eliminate the zero real part of a purely imaginary number?



In Mathematica 9, a purely imaginary number, e.g. 0.9 I, will display as 0. + 0.9i in the output form. How can I eliminate the real part 0. in the output form?



Answer



This is not a specific issue of Mathematica 9, we have the same in ver.8 unlike in ver.7.


Mathematica 8 and 9


First, looking at FullForm of these numbers :


FullForm /@ {0.9 I, 0 + 0.9 I, 0.9 + 0 I, 0.9 + 0. I}


{Complex[0.`, 0.9`], Complex[0.`, 0.9`], 0.9`, Complex[0.9`, 0.`]} 


(see e.g. Meaning of backtick in floating-point literal) and then examining this behvior :


{ Complex[0, 9/10], Complex[0, 0.9], Complex[0.9, 0], Complex[0.9, 0.]}
Chop @ %


{(9 I)/10, 0. + 0.9 I, 0.9, 0.9 + 0. I}
{(9 I)/10, 0. + 0.9 I, 0.9, 0.9 }

we can conclude that assuming the real part as an exact number it will be rewritten as a machine precission number given that the imaginary part is a machine precision number. Reverse need not be always true because e.g. Head[ Complex[0.9, 0]] is Real unlike Head[ Complex[0.9, 0.]]. Perhaps one might consider this as a bug since Chop unexpectedly doesn't work on the real part, while it works for the imaginary part in the above example. On the other hand rewriting Complex[0, .9] as 0. + 0.9I may be considered as a consistency issue.


Nevertheless you can still get the expected result using e.g. RootApproximant :



RootApproximant[0.9 I]


(9 I)/10

However if the imaginary part is not an algebraic number you cannot expect that RootApproximant will appear helpful and you'll have to work with exact numbers from the begining, e.g. this works well RootApproximant[ Sqrt[2.] I] while this doesn't RootApproximant[Pi I], nevertheless one needn't use it at all (Pi I yields I π).


{0 + Pi I, 0. + Pi I}


{ I π, 0. + 3.14159 I} 


Mathematica 7


We have in ver.7 :


FullForm[0.9 I]


Complex[0, 0.9`] 

therefore :


0.9 I



0.9 I

nevertheless this behavior is not quite consistent, e.g. :


{ π I, 0. + π I, π + 0 I, π + 0. I}


{I π, 0. + 3.14159 I, π, 3.14159 + 0. I}


there is even worse problem :


{Pi + 0.9 I, Complex[Pi, 0.9]}


{3.14159 + 0.9 I, Complex[Ï€, 0.9]}

To sum up the behaviour in Mathematica 8 and 9 seems to be more uniform than that of Mathematica 7 and therefore one can say it is an intentional issue. On the other hand Chop works well in ver. 7 :


{ Complex[0., 0.9], Complex[0.9, 0], Complex[0.9, 0.]}
Chop @ %



 {0. + 0.9 I, 0.9, 0.9 + 0. I}
{0.9 I, 0.9, 0.9}

while its defect in ver.8 and 9 is definitely undesirable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...