Skip to main content

plotting - Problem with transparency when I export an eps file


I have the following simple Mathematica code:


Clear["Global`*"];
x = Cos[t];

y = Sin[t];
L1 = ParametricPlot3D[{x, y, t}, {t, 0, 50},
PlotStyle -> {Blue, Thickness[0.003]}, Axes -> True,
AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "t"}, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1},
AxesStyle -> Directive[Black, FontSize -> 17, FontFamily -> "Helvetica"],
PlotPoints -> 500, PlotRange -> All, ImageSize -> 500];
L2 = Graphics3D[{EdgeForm[None], Opacity[0.2], GrayLevel[0.1],
Specularity[White, 20], Mesh -> None, Lighting -> None,
Cuboid[{-1, -1, 38}, {1, 1, 50}]}];
P1 = Show[{L1, L2}, ViewPoint -> {1.3, -2.4, 1.5}]


However, when I try to export this three-dimensional plot in eps format, all the part of function which is inside the cuboid, that is when z>38 does not appear. It seems that somehow during the export the options Opacity is overruled. Is there a way to export this plot correctly?



Answer



If you want to make sure that all exported EPS will look fine even without explicitly rasterizing the plot every time, you can force the rasterization by this one-time command that you could put at the beginning before creating any of your plots:


Map[SetOptions[#, 
Prolog -> {{EdgeForm[], Texture[{{{0, 0, 0, 0}}}],
Polygon[#, VertexTextureCoordinates -> #] &[{{0, 0}, {1,
0}, {1, 1}}]}}] &, {Graphics3D, ContourPlot3D,
ListContourPlot3D, ListPlot3D, Plot3D, ListSurfacePlot3D,
ListVectorPlot3D, ParametricPlot3D, RegionPlot3D, RevolutionPlot3D,

SphericalPlot3D, VectorPlot3D, BarChart3D}];

The trick is explained in this answer and the linked ones. You're asking about transparency in particular, so I guess it's not quite a duplicate question, but a duplicate answer...


The plots will be rasterized when exporting to PDF or EPS - the notebook internal plots are not rasterized.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...