Skip to main content

numerical integration - Proper use of arbitrary number of variables


So, I'm working on a project where the number of independent variables is not fixed.


Consider a problem of $N$ independent variables, $\boldsymbol{r}$.


I want to perform different things with them. Amongst them, I want to consider (multidimensional) integration, etc.


Variables definition



My first question regarding this topic, is the definition of the variables to perform algebraic manipulation. My first though was to use


variables[N_]:=Table[x[i],{i,1,N}]

However, in some situations, (e.g. with Block), I cannot use these variables as I use x1,x2,.... e.g.


Block[{x[1]=2},x[1]^2]

gives an error.


(my current naive solution is to use):


variables[N_] := Table[ToExpression["x" <> ToString[i]], {i, 1, N}];


Is there any more standard solution?


Sums, integrals


This question also holds for the problem of computing integrals for arbitrary dimensions.


How can I tell Mathematica to compute


Integrate[f[{r1,r2,...,rn}], {r1, 0, 1}, {r2, 0, g[r1]},...,{rN, 0, h[{r1,r2,...,"rN-1"}]}]

Most of the times I will be interested in numerically compute the integral, but nevertheless, how do I tell Mathematica? I tried the simple "naive"


Integrate[1, Table[{i, 0, 1}, {i, variables[3]}]]

but it gives an error.




Answer



You might use:


variables[n_, sym_String: "x"] := Unique @ Table[sym, {n}]

variables[5]

variables[5]

variables[3, "Q"]



{x1, x2, x3, x4, x5}

{x6, x7, x8, x9, x10}

{Q1, Q2, Q3}

Note the difference on the second call.


For work in Sum et al. you can leverage the fact that a plain Function evaluates its arguments:


vars = variables[7, "z"];


Sum[Multinomial @@ vars, ##] & @@ ({#, 0, 1} & /@ vars)


13700

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...