Skip to main content

How can I return a Sequence?


Recently I had the need to redefine a certain symbol in my init.m so it would be automatically omitted from any lists it appears in. I decided to redefine it to an empty sequence, e.g. Locked = Sequence[], but that got me thinking. What if I wanted to return a sequence (not necessarily an empty one) in a := definition? Return doesn't have the SequenceHold attribute, and adding it in a package might cause problems, so what would I do?


EDIT: I think I've figured out what exactly causes me to have the problem. I've defined it to display a Message first to let me know whenever a package I'm importing attempts to "attack my computer". (It is trying to cause my computer to behave in a manner not consistent with my wishes, after all.) So I defined it as Locked := (Message[Locked::nope]; Sequence[]), but strangely it just returns Null. (It doesn't show a return value, but if I do {Locked}, it returns {Null}, and if I try to set it as an attribute it says that Null is not a valid attribute and doesn't set any of them.)



Answer




Calculate the List of results you wish to return and use Apply to replace the head:


listFn[a_, b___] := If[a > 0, {b}, {0}];
seqFn[args___] := Sequence @@ listFn[args];
f[1, seqFn[2, 3, 4, 5], 6]
f[1, seqFn[-2, 3, 4, 5], 6]

(*--> f[1, 3, 4, 5, 6] *)
(*--> f[1, 0, 6] *)

Here listFn represents the calculation of the results and does not need to be a separate function. The particular example above can be written more simply as



seqFn[a_, b___] := Sequence @@ If[a > 0, {b}, {0}]

Edit


It should be stressed that the method assumes listFn actually evaluates to the List of desired inputs; if not, the Head of the expression returned will be replaced with Sequence, perhaps with undesired results. In such a case, a method such as @Jens's may be used.


For instance if a is non-numeric, say a Symbol, in the example above, then you get


f[1, seqFn[x, 3, 4, 5], 6]
(*-> f[1, x > 0, {3, 4, 5}, {0}, 6] *)

Often one can construct a List of the actual results, though. (With thanks to @Mr.Wizard.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...