Skip to main content

list manipulation - Clustering of space-time data


Below is an example of a gaze sequence I recorded during a 3 seconds display. That is, where the eye was at every millisecond. While we should have 3000 points, we are missing some due to blinking.



enter image description here


Fixation or visual fixation is the maintaining of the visual gaze on a single location. I need to extract those fixations. That is group of gazes that are both contiguous in time and space. Below is the location of fixations. Of course we'll have to implement thresholds.


enter image description here


In this file available for download, you will find 7 sequences there if you simply open and run the attached notebook.


gazeSeq[1] is the first out of 7 sequences made out of 3000 sublists representing each gaze record as {x,y,time}:


gazeSeq[1][[1]] 
Out[1]= {-0.562, 0.125, 1000.}

where time goes from 1000 to 4000 corresponding to the 3 seconds of display. As said above some data points might be missing.


While I tried to use GatherBy, I could not manage to include the condition of "time contiguity" and would get grouping of gazes that did not happen during the same interval during the trial.




Answer



Finding the cluster centers is the hard part. There are zillions of ways to do this, such as standardizing $(x,y,t)$ and applying some (almost any) kind of cluster analysis. But these data are special: the eye movement has a measurable speed. The gaze is resting if and only if the speed is low. The threshold for "low" is physically determined (but can also be found in a histogram of the speeds: there will be a break just above 0). That yields the very simple solution: fixations occur at the points of low speed.


It's a good idea to smooth the original data slightly before estimating the speeds:


data = Transpose[Import["f:/temp/gazeSeq_1.dat"]];
smooth = MovingAverage[#, 5] & /@ data;
delta = Differences /@ smooth;
speeds = Prepend[Norm[Most[#]]/Last[#] & /@ Transpose[delta], 0];
Histogram[Log[# + 0.002] & /@ speeds]

Figure



The bimodality is clear. The gap is around $\exp(-6)-0.002\approx 0.0005$. Whence


w = Append[smooth, speeds];
ListPlot[#[[1 ;; 2]] & /@ Select[Transpose[w], Last[#] < 0.0005 &],
PlotStyle -> PointSize[0.015]]

enter image description here


There are the gaze fixations. having found them, the clustering is (almost) trivial to do (because each fixation now exists as a contiguous sequence of observations in the original data, from which it is readily split off: this respects the time component as well as the spatial ones). This method works beautifully for all seven of the sample datasets.


One advantage of this approach is that it can detect clusters of very short gaze fixations, even those of just two points in the dataset. These would likely go unnoticed by most general-purpose or ad hoc solutions. Of course you can screen them out later if they are of little interest.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...