Skip to main content

programming - Permanently extending the behaviour of functions (like decorators)


Suppose I have a function, e.g.


f[x_] := x^2

It works like this:


f[5]
(* 25 *)


I would like to permanently modify it so that calling f[5] will perform some action before and after the evaluation of the original f. For example, I would like f to behave like ff below:


ff[x_] := 
Module[{res},
Print["Before..."];
res = f[x];
Print["After..."];
res
]

ff[5]


During evaluation of In[]:= Before...

During evaluation of In[]:= After...
(* 25 *)

I would like to do this without needing to know what f does, or how it behaves. Preferably, the modification should be carried out automatically. This would be somewhat similar to decorators in Python.


The Villegas–Gayley pattern makes this feasible for built-in functions because built-in definitions always have lower priority than user-issued ones. But with user-defined functions this is much harder to do reliably because we cannot control the ordering of definitions.




Example application:



Evaluate functions with a certain value of $ContextPath. Ideally, all the functions in the package described in the linked question could be modified in one line of code.


If we have


sym;
g[] := ToString[sym]

then


g[]
(* "sym" *)

Suppose we want to automatically modify g[] so that it behaves like



Block[{$ContextPath = {}, $Context = "myEmpty`"}, g[]]
(* "Global`sym" *)

Answer



Based on your requirements I would move the original symbol to a new context.


wrapper[fn_, mod_] :=
Module[{ctxt = Context[fn], name = SymbolName[fn], x},
Context[fn] = "wrapper`" <> ctxt <> ToString[x] <> "`";
Symbol[ctxt <> name][arg___] := fn[arg] // Unevaluated // mod
]


Your example:


sym;
g[] := ToString[sym]

wrapper[g, Block[{$ContextPath = {}, $Context = "myEmpty`"}, #] &]

g[]


"Global`sym"


Recursion:


fib[1 | 2] = 1;
fib[n_Integer?Positive] := fib[n - 1] + fib[n - 2]

wrapper[fib, #2 &[Print["Before"], #, Print["After"]] &]

fib[7]



Before


After


13

Nested wrappers:


wrapper[fib, #2 &[Print["Primordial"], #, Print["Final"]] &]

fib[12]



Primordial


Before


After


Final


144

Related:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...