Skip to main content

Impossible to bypass evaluation on returned values?


Following all the great advice on this other question, I'm now fluent with HoldAllComplete and Unevaluated on the input side of quote-type functions. I continued my investigations and produced the following attempt at a generic conversion from expression to captive (or quoted) expression:


ClearAll[captive];
SetAttributes[captive, HoldAllComplete];
captive[expr_ /; AtomQ @ Unevaluated @ expr] := expr
captive[head_[args___]] :=
{captive @ head} ~Join~ (captive /@ (Unevaluated @ {args}))

captive[x___] := Throw[{x}];

This is really great and handles almost all my scenarios. To wit, the following abbreviated test set produces the desired results


testSet = {"foo", foo, 12, 0, 3/4, 3.14, 2.72 + 3.14 I, 
Infinity, {1, 2, 3}, {1, "a", b}, f, f[b], f[1, "a", b], f[{}],
f[{1, "a", b}], f[a][b], f[a][1, "a", b], f[a][{}],
f[a][{1, "a", b}], Hold[Plus @@ {}], Hold[Plus @@ {1, 2, 3}],
Plus @@ {1, "a", b}, 1 + "a" b, a + b*c};

as we can see in the output of



MapThread[List, {
InputForm /@ testSet,
InputForm /@ captive /@ testSet}] // TraditionalForm

(input on left, output on right)


$\left( \begin{array}{cc} \text{foo} & \text{foo} \\ \text{foo} & \text{foo} \\ 12 & 12 \\ 0 & 0 \\ 3/4 & 3/4 \\ 3.14 & 3.14 \\ 2.72 + 3.14*I & 2.72 + 3.14*I \\ \text{Infinity} & \{\text{DirectedInfinity}, 1\} \\ \{1, 2, 3\} & \{\text{List}, 1, 2, 3\} \\ \{1, \text{a}, b\} & \{\text{List}, 1, \text{a}, b\} \\ f & f \\ f[b] & \{f, b\} \\ f[1, \text{a}, b] & \{f, 1, \text{a}, b\} \\ f[\{\}] & \{f, \{\text{List}\}\} \\ f[\{1, \text{a}, b\}] & \{f, \{\text{List}, 1, \text{a}, b\}\} \\ f[a][b] & \{\{f, a\}, b\} \\ f[a][1, \text{a}, b] & \{\{f, a\}, 1, \text{a}, b\} \\ f[a][\{\}] & \{\{f, a\}, \{\text{List}\}\} \\ f[a][\{1, \text{a}, b\}] & \{\{f, a\}, \{\text{List}, 1, \text{a}, b\}\} \\ \text{Hold}[\text{Plus} \text{@@} \{\}] & \{\text{Hold}, \{\text{Apply}, \text{Plus}, \{\text{List}\}\}\} \\ \text{Hold}[\text{Plus} \text{@@} \{1, 2, 3\}] & \{\text{Hold}, \{\text{Apply}, \text{Plus}, \{\text{List}, 1, 2, 3\}\}\} \\ 1 + \text{a} + b & \{\text{Plus}, 1, \text{a}, b\} \\ 1 + \text{a}*b & \{\text{Plus}, 1, \{\text{Times}, \text{a}, b\}\} \\ a + b*c & \{\text{Plus}, a, \{\text{Times}, b, c\}\} \\ \end{array} \right)$


I get into trouble, however, when a return value of a captive expression has a value. For instance, something as simple as


x = y
(* Out[10]= y *)
captive[x]

(* Out[11]= y *)

traceView2 reveals that captive inspects the Held input, as required, but that the evaluator apparently snatches it on the way out, and we don't get x, the desired result.


captive fail


In hindsight, I suppose I shouldn't expect more, since the ever-present term-rewriter (evaluator) is just the way MMA is supposed to work. On a guess, I tried


captive[expr_ /; AtomQ @ Unevaluated @ expr] := Unevaluated @ expr

which doesn't seem to make any difference (and, after reading the docs, I'm not surprised, since Unevaluated only seems to have an effect when supplied in a function-argument slot (see this other question in progress related to behavior of Unevaluated).


I could do


captive[expr_ /; AtomQ @ Unevaluated @ expr] := Hold @ expr


or, better,


captive[expr_ /; AtomQ @ Unevaluated @ expr] := If[ValueQ @ expr, Hold @ expr,expr]

but now my output will always have Hold wrapping symbols that have values. I am beginning to suspect that this may be the best I can do, and I'm prepared to accept that answer (it means that my other function, which frees the captive, will have to have to release the particular holds inserted by this process (and not the Holds that were in the original source expressions!?! which means I probably have to mark them specially, but that's for another topic!)


But before giving up, I thought I'd consult you all, who have already been so generous.



Answer



Well, it seems that you just hit the fundamental problem of this approach: any global definition is attached to some symbol. In cases of DownValues, SubValues and perhaps UpValues, this does not harm your approach. But for OwnValues (meaning symbols which have direct values, i.e. variables), it does. You pretty much made this observation yourself. You have to decide which semantics you wish for your function. From what I can tell, you probably do wish to wrap them in some Hold-like wrapper.


However, I would take a different road. I would use Block dynamically, to make a dynamic environment where these symbols are Block-ed, and work in that dynamic environment for whatever code transformations (quoting, etc) you may wish to perform. Yet another approach is to temporarily hide certain symbols with some dummy symbols (assuming that your goal is to make some portions of your code inert and available as data) - I described a very simple version of it here. I actually did write a quoting library based on a combination of these two approaches, for some code-generation purposes, and this worked out quite well for me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...