Skip to main content

performance tuning - Faster way to extract partial data from AdjacencyMatrix


I am dealing with a lot of Graph objects. One task is to obtain an Id for each of them. So I first used


g = Graph[{1 -> 2, 1 -> 3, 4 -> 2, 3 -> 5, 4 -> 5, 7 -> 2, 4 -> 7, 3 -> 8}];

GraphId[g_] := Module[{}, AdjacencyMatrix@CanonicalGraph@g]

FullForm@GraphId@g

which gives


SparseArray[
Automatic,
List[7,7],
0,
List[
1,
List[

List[0,2,5,5,6,8,8,8],
List[List[5],List[7],List[4],List[6],List[7],List[7],List[3],List[6]]
],
List[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]
]
]

I have to reduce this result to save space. The first approach is not to including List[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1] in the result. So I tried


ToData[g_] := (Last@ToExpression@StringReplace[ToString@FullForm@g, "Graph" -> "List"])[[1]]
GraphIdReduced[g_] := Module[{}, ToData@CanonicalGraph@g]

FullForm@GraphIdReduced@g

which gives


SparseArray[
Automatic,
List[7,7],
0,
List[
1,
List[

List[0,2,5,5,6,8,8,8],
List[List[5],List[7],List[4],List[6],List[7],List[7],List[3],List[6]]
],
Pattern
]
]

Of course I can use the same approach to reduce the result much further. But the problem is the above method is very slow.


gT=Table[g,{i,1,10^5}];
AbsoluteTiming[GraphId/@gT][[1]]

AbsoluteTiming[GraphIdReduced/@gT][[1]]

gives


1.185602
14.445625

, and for 10^6 times, the difference is 12.386422 vs 146.539146.


Maybe this is because the string operations are slow, but I don't know how to do without it. Graph and SparseArray are atomic object and I can't not use Apply to change their Head to List and then locate the contents I care about.


So how to extract some data from the above result more quickly?


In fact, the data I need is only



enter image description here



Answer



You can use the new-in-Version-10 properties "RowPointers" and "ColumnIndices" of a SparseArray object:


g = Graph[{1 -> 2, 1 -> 3, 4 -> 2, 3 -> 5, 4 -> 5, 7 -> 2, 4 -> 7, 3 -> 8}];
sa=AdjacencyMatrix@CanonicalGraph@g;

{sa["RowPointers"],Flatten[sa["ColumnIndices"]]}
(* {{0,2,5,5,6,8,8,8},{5,7,4,6,7,7,3,6}} *)

Or define a function



foo=Function[{s},{s@#,Flatten@s@#2}&@@{"RowPointers","ColumnIndices"}]
foo@sa
(* {{0,2,5,5,6,8,8,8},{5,7,4,6,7,7,3,6}} *)

Alternatively, you can use the second part of "NonzeroPositions" instead of "ColumnIndices":


{sa["RowPointers"],sa["NonzeroPositions"][[All,2]]}
(* {{0,2,5,5,6,8,8,8},{5,7,4,6,7,7,3,6}} *)

Note: There has been few additions to the still-undocumented SparseArray "Properties", including "RowPointers" and "ColumnIndices" used above.


sa["Properties"]

(* {AdjacencyLists, Background, ColumnIndices, Density, NonzeroPositions,
NonzeroValues, PatternArray, Properties, RowPointers} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...