Skip to main content

numerics - Numerical underflow for a scaled error function


I calculate a scaled error function defined as


f[x_] := Erfc[x]*Exp[x^2]

but it can not calculate f[30000.]. f[20000.] is not very small (0.0000282). I think Mathematica is supposed to switch to high precision instead of machine precision, but it does not. It says:




General::unfl: Underflow occurred in computation. >>
General::ovfl: Overflow occurred in computation. >>

How can I calculate f for large values of x? Even with N[f[30000], 50], it does not use high precision and fails.



Answer



If you have an analytic formula for f[x_] := Erfc[x]*Exp[x^2] not using Erfc[x] you could do what you expect. However it is somewhat problematic to do in this form because Erfc[x] < $MinNumber for x == 27300.


$MinNumber


1.887662394852454*10^-323228468


N[Erfc[27280.], 20]


5.680044213569341*10^-323201264

Edit


A very good approximation of your function f[x] for values x > 27280 you can get making use of these bounds ( see e.g. Erfc on Mathworld) :


enter image description here


which hold for x > 0.



Here we find values of the lower and upper bounds with relative errors for various x:


T = Table[ 
N[#, 15]& @ {2 /(Sqrt[Pi] (x + Sqrt[2 + x^2])),
2 /(Sqrt[Pi] ( x + Sqrt[x^2 + 4/Pi])),
1 - ( x + Sqrt[x^2 + 4/Pi])/(x + Sqrt[2 + x^2]),
{x, 30000 Table[10^k, {k, 0, 5}]}];

Grid[ Array[ InputField[ Dynamic[T[[#1, #2]]], FieldSize -> 13] &, {6, 3}]]

enter image description here



Therefore we propose this definition of the function f (namely the arithetic mean of its bounds for x > 27280 ) :


f[x_]/; x >= 0 := Piecewise[ { { Erfc[x]*Exp[x^2],                      x < 27280 },

{ 1 /( Sqrt[Pi] ( x + Sqrt[2 + x^2]))
+ 1 /( Sqrt[Pi] ( x + Sqrt[x^2 + 4/Pi])), x >= 27280}}
]
f[x_] /; x < 0 := 2 - f[-x]

I.e. we use the original definition of the function f for 0 < x < 27280, the approximation for x > 27280 and for x < 0 we use the known symmetry of the Erfc function, which is relevant when we'd like to calculate f[x] for x < - 27280. Now we can safely use this new definition for a much larger domain :


{f[300], f[300.], f[30000.], f[-30000.]}



{E^90000 Erfc[300], 0.0018806214974, 0.0000188063, 1.99998}

and now we can make plots of f around of the gluing point ( x = 27280.)


GraphicsRow[{ Plot[ f[x], {x, 2000, 55000}, 
Epilog -> {PointSize[0.02], Red, Point[{27280., f[27280.]}]},
PlotStyle -> Thick, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}],
Plot[ f[x], {x, 27270, 27290},
Epilog -> {PointSize[0.02], Red, Point[{27280., f[27280.]}]},

PlotStyle -> Thick]}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...