Skip to main content

Mathematica: Retrieving PlotRange from Histogram


I know that one can retrieve PlotRange of a plot by using


AbsoluteOptions[plot,PlotRange]

but that won't work on Histogram. Here an example:


In[1099]:=


data = {-1.2056, -1.46192, -1.30053, -2.52879, -0.99636, -1.73904, -1.164,
-1.83398,-0.97505, -0.503256, -0.63802, -0.785963, -0.711821, -0.820439, -1.8699,
-3.9659, -1.4456, -1.67021, -1.42009, -2.5644, -1.45002, -1.27806, -1.66529,
-1.67073, -3.31102, -3.38638};
Histogram[%, PlotRange -> Automatic];
AbsoluteOptions[%, PlotRange]

When running the code I get the following message.


PlotRange::prng: Value of option PlotRange -> {{All,All},{-4.,0.}} is not All,
Full, Automatic, a positive machine number, or an appropriate list of range

specifications. >>

As I understood the documentation, PlotRange need to be of a certain format (e.g. two numbers) and {{All,All},{-4.,0.}} apparently does not fit to that format, for which reason Mathematica won't give me back the PlotRange of my histogram.


Does anybody know how I can get the PlotRange of a Histogram anyway? By the way: In the first place, it will only make sense to get hold of the second value of PlotRange (in my example: {-4.,0.}) since one can calculate the first one for instance through {0, Length[data]}.


Many thanks!


John



Answer



data = {-1.2056, -1.46192, -1.30053, -2.52879, -0.99636, -1.73904, \
-1.164, -1.83398, -0.97505, -0.503256, -0.63802, -0.785963, \
-0.711821, -0.820439, -1.8699, -3.9659, -1.4456, -1.67021, -1.42009, \

-2.5644, -1.45002, -1.27806, -1.66529, -1.67073, -3.31102, -3.38638};
hist = Histogram[data, PlotRange -> Automatic]
First[PlotRange /. Options[hist, PlotRange]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...