Skip to main content

list manipulation - Finding all length-n words on an alphabet that have a specified number of each letter


For example, I might want to generate all length n=6 words on the alphabet {A, B, C} that have one A, three B's and two C's. An example of such a word is: 'ABBBCC'. I'd like to generate all such words.


I've already tried generating all permutations of a particular string (like 'ABBBCC') and deleting all duplicates. This is too slow for my purposes.



Answer



Permutations is already duplicate-aware:


Permutations[{"A", "A", "B"}]


{{"A", "A", "B"}, {"A", "B", "A"}, {"B", "A", "A"}}


Perhaps you are looking for combinations of a particular length (which can then be permuted). One way to get those is this:


f[k_, {}, c__] := If[+c == k, {{c}}, {}]

f[k_, {x_, r___}, c___] := Join @@ (f[k, {r}, c, #] & /@ 0~Range~Min[x, k - +c])

Use:


f[4, {1, 3, 2}]


{{0, 2, 2}, {0, 3, 1}, {1, 1, 2}, {1, 2, 1}, {1, 3, 0}}


These represent the words of length 4 for a list with unique items repeated, 1, 3, and 2 times at most.


You can then construct the actual words from these lists, e.g.:


char = {"A", "B", "C"};

StringJoin@MapThread[ConstantArray, {char, #}] & /@ f[4, {1, 3, 2}]


{"BBCC", "BBBC", "ABCC", "ABBC", "ABBB"}


Or:


Inner[#2 ~Table~ {#} &, f[4, {1, 3, 2}], char, StringJoin]


{"BBCC", "BBBC", "ABCC", "ABBC", "ABBB"}

And with permutations:


Inner[#2 ~Table~ {#} &, f[4, {1, 3, 2}], char, Join]

Permutations /@ %



{{B,B,C,C},{B,B,B,C},{A,B,C,C},{A,B,B,C},{A,B,B,B}}

{{{B,B,C,C},{B,C,B,C},{B,C,C,B},{C,B,B,C},{C,B,C,B},{C,C,B,B}}, . . . }

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...